1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BE HONEST: Does race matter when dating?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by confuseduser99, May 16, 2014.

1. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No one wants to shame you, but that doesn't mean others must stay quiet and just accept preferences as a fact of life.

The first post in this thread is by confuseduser99 who's brown and attracted to fair-skinned people. That seems harmless on the surface, but what if he actually tries to pursue a white/Asian? If that person has a strong same-race preference, then he's going to be out of luck. That's the thing about racial preferences. They have real and profound consequences.

2. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

The great race? Oh, staying within the lines with colors and using the correct colors...

#142 Double Eagle, May 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014
  3. C P

C P

It's good to see you back :slight_smile:, though a little saddening that it had to be on this note.

As I pointed out earlier with what went down with a friend and from personal experience, I can also attest to this and have had that sort of thing thrown on me. One guy even started blabbering as if black guys finding him attractive was somehow offensive(um... ). Oh, but it's just preference and everything is just sunshine and bubblegum; no problems here! :rolle:

Add society conditioning people on a large scale to this 'lighter skin/white = beauty' idea and it gets ugly really fast, particularly for those on the other end of the spectrum. As mentioned before, it's not really that having 'preferences' is the Big Bad, it's the refusal to acknowledge that there is a problem either way.(last part not at you resu, obviously)

#143 C P, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
  4. Just Jess

You know the more I think about this question, the less it's "being this race makes this person attractive" and more "a lot of the attractive people are part of this race". I think the only thing about where someone's from that has an affect on whether they are attractive to me is their accent. A woman from a romance country can just read to me from a dictionary <3 Otherwise I can think of people from everywhere that I think have it going on, and people that just do not do it for me.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes to me it does I only find white men hot but I don't think it's racist bc Ill still be friends with people no matter there race just I won't be turned on by them if that makes sense.

6. Gen

Gen

I have no desires to be malicious. I never set out to hurt feelings. However, if I have to be brutally honest to get my point across of an issue that causes hurt for far more people than those in this thread, then I will. We can look around and see so many of the members in this thread, who speak on the negative effects of these simplistic preferences, admit to having preferences themselves at some point. Resu, for instance, admitted to developing racial preferences in the past because of the environment. He held up his hand, yet he can still admit that mindset isn't truly justifiable.

The only perfect world that is being painted in this thread is the one where these things don't matter. Where people of color aren't constantly being regarded as less desirable in the name of "genuine preference". Where the extent of Blacks and Hispanic appeal isn't so frequently based on stereotypes of masculinity and dominance, and Asians on femininity and submission; where their fetishization doesn't serve to be an obstacle in their attempts to find genuine partners. Where the desire to lighten skin, eye, and hair colors to be more beautiful isn't prominent in literally every racial group that is not white. That is the perfect wold I would love to live in.

This has nothing to do being a racist or prejudice person. It is simply about being able to admit that the society and environment we live in effects what we deem to be beautiful and attractive. Sometimes that effect isn't positive. Sometimes it isn't fair. Sometimes it causes a group of people to be seen as less than others in society. I completely understand not having given much thought to this subject before now and I don't believe that it is your fault for having these preferences, nor would I anyone else in this thread. What I can't understand or tolerate is dismissing this as an issue entirely. Accepting these things as innate or justifiable only prolongs the time it takes for society to get over this ridiculous fixation on race and skin color.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

8. confuseduser99

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    wow that's honestly shocking . I even saw a documentary in Jamaica where dark skin women are using skin bleach and some times bleach that you clean clothes with to get lighter because the men said they would not date them if they are dark skinned . the thing is it does work but their skin has so much damage it's scary . I wouldn't do this it's very sad how some people can make others feel . it's one thing if you have a preference nothing is wrong with that but to flat out reject people for their race of skin color is very sad .

10. Saint Otaku

I mean, I of course have different superficial preferences, but I can't think of a race I wouldn't date. Those mixed-Black boys though~<3

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

That reminded me of my time in retail. Our store had a catalog for the month of February, which happens to be African American History Month (or Black History Month for the less PC amongst us). On the back was products for hair straightener, with very light-skinned black women. I just raised an eyebrow and went about my business, but it is an image that has stuck with me.

Me, personally, I tend to look at race like hair or eye color. Yeah, it's there, and yeah I'll notice for a little bit, but it quickly vanishes. I don't turn down driving a car based on the exterior, though I may prefer a black car. It's all about the inner-workings.

I have no qualms about someone of a different ethnic background, or who possesses a different skin tone. If I only wanted the orange Starbursts, I'd have a very boring and wasted bag of Starburst.

12. heybazny

based in manila but mostly every where lately.
    I like guys by their personality. But we all have our preference.

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh great, this thread again. :dry:....

14. MissRanger

MissRanger Guest

Race does not matter to me when it comes to dating. I don't exclude myself to a particular race because I've seen attractive girls of different types of races. Although I noticed that the majority of my crushes have always been brunette with dark/light brown eyes. There is something about their 'demeanor' that I find trustworthy and maybe its also because their features are familiar and similar to mine. But I've also found blonde girls like Kate Upton to be very alluring. I don't think its necessarily the person's race/color but rather their facial features, proportions, and symmetry.

15. tulipinacup

From where I live, I did notice that colour is still given importance and I've only started to realise this when I got older. There are whitening products who promise that will whiten every part of your body. Most of the local actors and actresses here are the ones who are either mixed race with a white blood or just plainly light-skinned who gets to be the star of the show whereas the ones who are dark-skinned are treated as a comic relief. I tried questioning these things ever since.

Filipinos are very sensitive when it comes race but they are also the ones who look down upon black people.

I hear co-workers admire one of our waitstaff and say "Man, if you look at Leah, she's really pretty but it's just that she's dark-skinned"

I'm probably going way overboard over the question but I don't think race matters at all when it comes to dating someone as long as he doesn't listen to Fall Out Boy... kidding!

16. mfield123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    im not racist at all. but I definitely prefer white/Asian. never been attracted to a black guy before. Asians are hottest lol

17. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The only race I don't like...

... is the one I have to run.

I had to. I'm terrible, I know!

19. Blossom85

It wouldn't bother me at all, I think interracial couples are just the same as everyone else and if there was a Caucasian person who was someone who was not very nice and didn't have a nice personality and a person of color who had a wonderful and beautiful personality, I would chose the one with the wonderful personality hands down. I know the feeling of feeling judged or rejected based on appearance and just as I hope someone would not judge me on my physical appearance being I have a disability, I would never judge someone on their appearance wether it be race, disability or anything that makes that person stand out a little more then the rest. I had a friend who was of Aboriginal descent who passed away recently and she was loved by everyone who came into contact with her, if people had not wanted to be friends with her or wanted to be with her based on her Aboriginal heritage, then it was their loss as they missed out on knowing someone with such a beautiful soul.

20. PurpleGrey

While I won't avoid dating someone of any race altogether, I admit I do get pickier with some.