1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle of the Name

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BanditWings, Jul 3, 2016.

1. BanditWings

tl;dr: Came out to my usually-supportive parents; they're very upset that the name they spent forever on went to waste.

Normally I'm on very good terms with my parents. Today, however, when I finally came out to them and told them the name I wanted their reaction was annoyance, especially at the fact that the cool name they had deliberated over for a very long time would not be used. They tried in desperation to get me to use it, but I felt that I didn't want a connection to who I'm not. They're very upset that the days they spent on my name went to waste. Sorry to waste your time with venting.
    What could I tell them? They don't understand the fact that I'm trans at all, blaming it on the generation gap.

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wait, so they're just upset about the name? What did they say about you being trans?

Without knowing any other details, my best advice would be to ask if they had any input on your new name. Unless you're very attached to the name you've already chosen. Then I don't know. Seems kind of odd that is the thing they're upset about.