1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ballet

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by maybon, Apr 20, 2021.

1. maybon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Any other ballet fans here? I’ve adored it for years: the beauty, grace, energy and physicality. I love the dancers pushing themselves beyond limits (other) athletes would decline. And all that enwrapped in a style and beauty that mesmerises.

I admit classical ballet is my preference but I do love Akram Khan’s Giselle and Liam Scarlett’s Frankenstein was so powerful it eventually overcame the "a Frankenstein ballet?" disbelief.

The traditional Giselle is hard to beat though - now there’s loving forgiveness.
    Swan Lake will always have a special place in my heart as the first ballet I saw - I love opera and was given a ticket to Swan Lake by a friend who thought I might like the music. I ended up frozen by beauty that night.
    Matthew Bourne’s all male Swan Lake breaks my heart wonderfully. It resonates with some of my life experiences and the pas de deux should be how love is defined in every e-dictionary!

At the minute Sleeping Beauty is my favourite and I’m a tad obsessed with the Catalbutte, Master of Ceremonies, character. The character actors, beside the dancers, I think are wonderful and I’d love to play this character. I did ask a friend if I could get away with wearing the costume on St. Patrick’s day ... St. George’s maybe?

1D188F27-CE3A-43BF-879F-969EFD65DBF2.jpeg

When all this lockdown is over I long to get back to Covent Garden and all that captivation again.

How about you? Love it?
    Favourite ballets, favourite dancers (Nuñez and Muntagirov, though in her day Cojocaru is hard to beat)?
    Have you danced, designed, choreographed?

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have only been to one ballet, Undine many years ago and I enjoyed it. The last time I was back in the states my room mate and I did buy tickets to see Swan Lake but my recovery from surgery for kidney stones was too slow and I was unable to attend it (I still have the nice dress that I got for that occasion).

Have I done it? hahaha I am autistic I can barely walk let alone dance. I would have loved to do so but sadly that really would not be possible with my coordination difficulties.

#2 QuietPeace, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  3. Loves books

I like what I can watch on YouTube. I think it’s beautiful and I admire the dancers. I’ve never tried ballet. I don’t think I would have had the dedication needed to be any good.

4. old tacoma

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had a classmate growing up who was an aspiring dancer. She attended a well known ballet school as her extracurricular activity, and a group of us friends would make an annual trip into the city to attend one of the performances in which she participated. I remember thinking she was very good, but as a t-shirt and jeans country boy, what did I know? She never became a professional. I heard she continued to teach dance informally for many years. It was her passion. And her name? Giselle, of course! True story.