1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back on therapy tomorrow and i really dont know where to start

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CL1990, Jun 12, 2019.

1. CL1990

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hi all! im going back to therapy tomorrow with a new therapist (my old one left me a year ago or so) and i feel that i dont know who to explain what is going on...the first time round it was quite straight forward because it was around not being able to come out or even talk about being gay but now although my sexuality is still a big thing for me i i have to add more things to the mix that have come up in the period that i have been without a therapist...

basically i feel that i have fucked myself up in my time away from therapy without even realizing as at the beginning of it all i met someone and was so absorbed on that...any tips for anyone that has switched therapy (i dont have my records of my old therapist btw)

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A misconception that many people have is the idea that they have to explain everything to a new therapist in the first (or even the first 5) sessions. You can jump in wherever things are causing an issue, and the therapist can work with whatever is going on, filling in the pieces as needed as you move forward.

Each therapist, even those with the same theoretical orientation, will approach therapy differently, so treat it as a fresh start, and simply dive in. If something created issues since the last time you were in therapy, you can start with that... or just about anywhere else. There's no hard-and-fast rule of how one approaches it.

canadawet and CL1990 like this.