1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward silence in relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Andstillimhere7, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    my boyfriend and I have been dating for a year and half already and we usually stumble upon awkward silences. I feel weird about it mostly because we should be talking and communicating. I usually cease it for a while by humming or giving him physical affection or even verbal, but what do you recommend for less awkward silences?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is it about the silence that makes it awkward? You said it occurs when you should be talking and communicating, so can you maybe tell us why you think you should be talking and communicating? Many people fear silence in a relationship, but there's a lot to be said for being comfortable in the company of another person and not having to worry about making chit chat and small talk. In actual fact, chit chat and small talk can be more awkward, especially when it's forced and being used to fill a silence. Sometimes we need to learn to accept and even enjoy silence - it's becoming an incredibly rare thing in the world.

Have you asked your boyfriend how he feels when there is a period of silence between you? Ask him if he feels awkward or uncomfortable about it. It's entirely possible that he just enjoys being with you.

LostInDaydreams likes this.