1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Randy, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I tried uploading a new picture for my avatar to replace my current grainy avatar. An error appeared that said, "the file is too large for the server to process."

How big is too big for the server? The photo I was trying to upload is 6.2MB. Compressing it is possible but knowing the maximum file size for the server would make the process go a little bit faster without having to resort to trial and error.

#1 Randy, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  2. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I have set avatar file size limits at 100kb, which should be applying to all usergroups. :slight_smile:

Martin.

3. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are there any plans to update that in the future or is that set in stone for the rest of eternity?

4. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It hasn't really crossed our radar, to be honest. It has just been set as that because it aligned with EC Classic, and it is a setting we have never really looked at changing to ensure that we are relatively conservative with the amount of data that images take up on the server. Having said that, there's no profile pictures anymore and I would be surprised if anybody had any particularly strong opinions on avatar data limits, so I wouldn't say it's set in stone. Obviously, we don't want people being able to upload entire movies into their avatar, but I certainly have no objections boosting it now that profile pictures aren't a thing and avatars are the primary image displayed within profiles. :slight_smile:

5. Martin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, scratch what I said regarding 100kb. It looks like the old limit was actually 200kb, so I'll go adjust that now to align it with the old site.

Martin.

Edit: That should be set now.

#5 Martin, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  6. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alright, guess I'll compress down to 200kb. I really did not think it was that small as my current avatar (taken with the same camera) was able to upload on the previous server just fine. Unless the old server automatically compressed the images down into a sizeable format that was acceptable to the server. But yeah, I'll see what I can do as far as compressing goes