1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autism Spectrum Disorders and Transgenderism

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lymanclark, Nov 3, 2014.

1. PeculiarChild

Spider webs are, in a way, spider poop. And they look awesome.

My handwriting's fricking terrible, but my cursive's pretty great. It's because of this Occupational Therapy program to improve my handwriting. She found out about my love of cursive, and hoped cursive would improve my handwriting. It didn't, but I now have a lifelong, very intense passion/obsession with both cursive and index cards.

2. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

INDEX CARDS! I draw all my doodles on index cards. Index cards are just BEAUTIFUL. :kiss:

3. PeculiarChild

I have an index card friend? I have about 4 unopened packs of index cards, and like four used ones I keep in a desk with all my doodles and cursive and projects and stuff.

4. MissMiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    they are fun to doodle on especially when you doodle inapropriate things on it to troll the teacher

5. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

I read your thing about index cards and I was like :eek: SOMEONE FINALLY GETS ME

I've lost count of how many index cards I've used. They're EVERYWHERE.

6. PeculiarChild

I bet very few people have their digit ratios memorized outside the trans* community.

7. MissMiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i feel depressed no one is helping me and fuck women

8. PeculiarChild

What???

9. MissMiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gener...rience-same-sex-seems-like-one-sick-joke.html this is why im just done

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2014 at 07:07 PM ----------

All I have been was sexually assaulted and ignored as if i am not a real person

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2014 at 07:08 PM ----------

I never had one moment of pure bliss with a women I never got to know the experience to kiss a woman I really liked I am having bad memories of my childhood comeback

10. PeculiarChild

I'm sorry . I hope you can get better. I don't really understand the subject, but please do know that I feel for you.

11. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Aw man :frowning2: I hope it passes eventually, and you can find love!! (*hug*)

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2014 at 04:15 PM ----------

So, so, so, so true. :lol:

12. MissMiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ty your the best all of you

13. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    My brother has autism and I'm trans. I don't know if there's a connection though because I myself am neurotypical.

14. MissMiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    -glomps- hi person

15. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Could be. Broad autism phenotype...maybe...

16. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

I think they connected autism, in part, to prenatal testosterone levels (which also may influence transgenderism). I'm not sure how your brother's autism would affect your gender identity, if we assume that hypothesis to be true....

Of course, most trans* people AREN'T autistic. It's just that the rate of autism is higher in trans* folk, especially FTM people. 7.8%, I believe, as compared to.... uhhhhhh a much smaller number (like 2%? Maybe even less than 1%?)

17. PeculiarChild

Maybe his mom has a weird gene that produces extra testosterone in the womb.

---------- Post added 9th Nov 2014 at 11:56 AM ----------

I do believe the updated number is 1/67, or roughly 1.5% (and that's the whole spectrum, from PDD-NOS, Aspergers, autism, etc.)

#157 PeculiarChild, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  18. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Oh, is it now? Yeah, so there's roughly 5.2 times as much autism in the trans* population as there is in the general population, then….

19. anonym

anonym Guest

Does anyone here think that being autistic can contribute to being trans?

Or that it can be a contributing factor to gender confusion and not working it out until much later on?

I read so many threads where people were aware of something being wrong with their gender quite early on in life. I don't think I had that level of self awareness as a child, or teenager for that matter. Nor did I have a particularly strong sense of my identity. I can remember being about 9 or 10 and feeling like everyone was passing me by in life. I realized then that there was something really different about me. For all I know, I had probably always been a misfit and a loner ever since I started school but didn't pick up on it until I was almost ready to leave primary school. I'm surprised that my teachers never picked up on it or mentioned it in my school reports or at parent's evening. When I started secondary school, the other kids were growing up way faster than me and it became more and more apparent that I just didn't fit in. I started out with a group of friends but once the first year was out, they turned on me. From then on, I struggled to make and maintain friendships. I was bullied more and more. I didn't really understand what being a teenager was about. I think a telling sign was that in my design lessons, I designed products for children while the other girls were making things like handbags, scarves, things with pretty pink hearts and flowers and the boys were making things on the theme of sports and The Simpsons. I felt like I understood what childhood was about but this teenage stage in which I found myself was alien to me. I couldn't relate well to the other kids of my age so I befriended the staff. The librarian would let me stay in the library over lunch. When I left this school for college, things didn't get any better. By the end of college, I only had part time hours so I spent the rest of my time studying at home or hiding out in the art and design department. That was my safe space. I went home during lunches and walked out into the village during the 20 minute morning break. I was 18 by this time and I didn't have any friends. Animals and art were my refuge. Meanwhile all the other kids were learning to drive, going out clubbing, getting into relationships and working part time jobs. I waited another 2 years before I began learning to drive, I wan't interested in boys or getting a boyfriend and I had no friends and was too afraid of other people by this time to want to try out clubbing. I applied for tons of part-time jobs but rarely got to the interview stage and when I did, I was so nervous and awkward, I never got the job. I was ahead in school but in all other aspects of life, I failed miserably. When I began university, I realized just how far I had fallen behind everyone else. I shied away from socials and again, struggled to make friends. It was a little better than college as in I wasn't constantly bullied. People were polite and friendly towards me. I just never really bonded with them. After the foundation year and the first year of my degree, I began panicking. I felt like I wasn't mature enough to be progressing into the 2nd year. Once again it felt like everybody was growing up fast and I was left behind. I switched course and repeated the first year over, this time willing myself to get involved. I tried much harder than last time but I still wouldn't join in the socials. The second year allowed much more solitude and I spent all my time working from home. I struggled to manage my workload but somehow still managed to achieve first class results and for that, I found myself the victim of bullies again. It was like history repeating itself over and when I went into the 3rd year, despite my results from the year before, I felt the pressure was too much. I couldn't handle the workload, the pressure to be the first class student and the bullying was making me have some weird psychological regression back to high school. I couldn't cope so I took leave and was diagnosed with depression. I was put on meds and after months of applications, I secured a part time job in retail. I felt awkward at first but after a few months, I felt like part of the family. For the first time in my life, I started going out on nights out and to my surprise I really enjoyed it. But then things took a nasty twist as I realized a few months later that something was wrong about my gender. It took a further 2 years for me to actually realize I was in fact trans and I only just stumbled across Asperger's Syndrome a few months ago. I thought all my issues with not fitting in was gender related but now I wonder if it was autism all along and if I hadn't been autistic, would I have worked out my gender years and years ago.

Has this been the case for anyone else whose trans with ASD?

20. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

I had trouble figuring it out, too. It was terrible feeling different like that.