1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Autism Spectrum Disorders and Transgenderism

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lymanclark, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Ryu

Ryu

Same here, but now I think I may be questioning my gender from spending to much time on this part of the forum...

2. PeculiarChild

I've always found myself to be a bit removed from the rest of the world socially. I'm pretty sure most people here have. And I've never really been sure if that was because of autism or transliness. I've always felt they were completely entwined, inexorably tied to one another; there used to be no "or" in that statement; I referred to them both as one and the same.

And what I've always wondered is if they are linked only as the sources of my awkward, rather unpleasant childhood, or if they were biologically linked, rather than purely philosophically.

Has anyone else felt that trangenderism and autism seemed as though they were parts of the same overarching problem?

3. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Aspergers and trans (although very mildly with the first)
    (May not be a good idea to post this thread as lbgt phobes will say it is a disorder)

4. anonym

anonym Guest

YES! ME! (!) I still don't know the answer. My guess is I will only find out by transitioning and seeing if my autistic symptoms lessen. The symptoms I mean are:

Feeling awkward and out of place around other people.

Difficulty with change. Even the smallest change in my room will bug me. I think it's because I find some sort of safety and comfort in the familiar when life is for the most part, very frightening for me.

Feeling fake.

5. lostboy94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting... The rates of autism spectrum stuff is higher with bio guys than bio girls so hmmm. I personally am an aspie who is bio female but identifies as a agender person with male leanings. I was really unsure (and still am) about my identities. Also I did try to fit in (even to the point of acting homophobic not proud of that one...) So yes thats my two sense take as you will.

6. PeculiarChild

Well, it seems here there's a lot more bio females than bio males, which is exactly the opposite of our cisgender brethren. It's an interesting topic; I wish researchers were more interested.

7. anonym

anonym Guest

I do too. I think it would be interesting if we had brain scans to see how our brain compares to non-autistic trans guys, autistic cis females and autistic cis males.

8. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My half-brother has severe autism, but I don't have any of the symptoms. Except for stimming, but that could be my adhd. Socially, I was a bit of an outcast growing up though and am pretty sure I have high testosterone levels.