1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Australia says YES!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by YermanTom, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Khai

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Today something amazing has happened, that should have happened a long time ago.

Same sex marriage was finally legalised in Australia.

Thank you. Thank you Australia for giving me, and so many other people the right to marry who we wish no matter what gender they are.

Love has won again.

3. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So happy for all my Aussie friends ( even though New Zealand will miss getting all the money Aussie couples have been spending on getting married here ;-) )

4. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The video above was very emotional to watch, - and I'm Irish, the other side of the world. It reminded me of the atmosphere when the referendum results were announced here in Ireland.

This is not just important for Australia, but for every LGBT person through out the world.
    A big thank you Australia.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To our Australian friends, congratulations to you all on this excellent occasion!

It is high time indeed that your country recognizes that the love and commitment between two people, as realized in marriage, is deserving of support and respect by your fellow citizens, welcome to the club!

To those who opposed it: all I can say is that their sincerely held religious beliefs were worthy of respect but should have remained where they belong, that is, within the sphere of their own communities and coreligionists. We've had equal marriage in Canada for the past 12 years...still no brimstone and ashes...

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations to Australia! These stories of expanding equality never get old for me. I hope many more countries will expand equality in the coming year. :slight_smile:

It's awesome that this happened so fast after the postal survey and very few in Parliament voted against it. It's also astounding it will go into effect so fast and no amendments got added to it. This would never have happened in the US if it wasn't for the courts and that's being chipped away wherever possible. Yay Australia!

#26 mnguy, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, despite opposing the postal plebiscite, this image shows at least its legitimising power and the overwhelming parliamentary verdict.
    Four members voting against, around a dozen abstentions. The rest voting clearly together for same-sex marriage, so many sitting to the right of the speaker they didn't even do a count of yes votes.

[​IMG]

#27 Aussie792, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ That picture is so awesome. I hope it goes down in history, and ends up in textbooks.