1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asking someone their sexual orientation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, May 10, 2021.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you think this is okay? It can be.

If you choose a new doctor, you may see it on the form. They ask about smoking and tobacco use. I don't know if people will fill out their sexual orientation, though, if they're not at risk for STIs and know a lot about how they transmit.

How about on a form for a club or something else where it has nothing to do with anything? No.

If a person barely knows you? I wouldn't do it. If a person knows you well? Both people would have to be comfortable with each other and know how to handle it.

What do you think?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In certain situations yes, such as when filling out a form at the doctor's as you mentioned. Even then though, one might not be asked depending on the form and purpose.

Other than that, I don't think it would be appropiate unless it is needed for a specific service or support.

3. Lemony

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agree

4. sojabohnenfeld

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is interesting!

I tell people I am gay when I know that they will listen. Because a lot of people just think it is fun and games but for me it was a very stressful part of my life so when I tell people I want them to treat me decently.

I have seen straight people try to talk about orientation and fail because they think we are fragile people... that is also bad. Honestly I don't know what I would say to that.

Sometimes I do answer forms that ask about sexuality but most of the time I feel pretty bad about those because it can be disrespectful to the often long and difficult backstory of acceptance, understanding, and expression.

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The majority of the time I don't think it's right to ask. Places like the doctor's I can understand :slight_smile:

6. maybon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Even at the doctors there should be an option “If it’s ever relevant I’ll let you know [ ]”

Everywhere else it’s no bodies business.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. That's what I thought. This was on an intro form to a group. A group that had NOTHING to do with sexuality, counseling, LGBT, etc., etc. Then the organizer and facilitator went on to say that she would not share the information.

8. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I prefer that people keep their nose out of my personal info. I respect their privacy as well, it's their business.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like the facilitator was/is quite curious. It's strange that they would ask this.

If I were to be given a form like this, and without an explanation as to why the information is needed or required, I wouldn't complete that part.

10. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On forms and documents: it depends if the question is voluntary or compulsory and it depends on the reasoning behind the question. I don't think we should ever compel people to disclose their sexual orientation, but if the question is voluntary and the rationale is explained (e.g. diversity monitoring or provision of future services) I don't have a problem with it and would gladly answer myself. This question appeared for the first time on this years UK census, but it was a voluntary question. I'm really interested to see the data when it's published... only because I believe the UK is the 'gayest' country in the world.

In person: I'm always kind of relieved if someone doesn't assume heterosexuality and politely and reasonably asks about my sexuality. It's more awkward to have to correct someone who has pigeon-holed me as white, straight with kids.