1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

asexual inclusivity

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by queerunity, Oct 9, 2008.

1. queerunity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    maybe you could be asexual inclusive offering that as a sexual orientation option to list on the profile and also have a forum for people who are asexual or questioning?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You are right, we should be asexual inclusive here. As its something that we don't know much about, maybe you could write an educational piece on it and post it.

3. queerunity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I identify as queer, but I have a piece i wrote on asexuality that i can post.

4. otc877

otc877 Guest

o what? There's people who are asexual?

5. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    yeah there are. I know an asexual girl and she is awesome lol

6. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes there are people who are asexual, and it isn't a laughing matter. They feel more out of place than homosexuals. In everyone's urge to label everyone, since asexuals aren't interested in heterosexual relationships, it's assumed they are homosexual, which just makes everything really awkward.

I agree that it should be an option on the site.

7. Derek the Wolf

I'm not so sure. It's a good idea on paper, but that's why there's an "other, type in your own" option. There are a lot of subdivisions amongst sexuality. Is asexual a big enough category to justify it? That's what we should be asking. I truthfully have NO idea.

8. InaRut

Yea your right derek but I think that this can also be considered a "welcoming" kind of thing. You know? I mean they look at the list and they see gay, trans-gendered, bisexual etc...and if they see asexual it might be an encouragement, and it would show that we really do accept EVERYONE.

9. Derek the Wolf

True, true. We should show that we're ALL inclusive. Let's do it (I gotta admit I'm on the fence, but I always play devil's advocate. People needs to see two sides of the coin, you know?).

10. InaRut

True ture, understandable.

It's good to offer different points of view I suppose.

11. queerunity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    http://www.asexuality.org

it is indeed a real orientation and studies show about 1% of the population identifies as asexual.

12. musican

thanks for posting that. i never would have thought about asexual as an orientation, but after reading from that website it makes sense. im glad that im aware of it now

13. tehnathan

*raises hand for his fellow asexual people* :slight_smile:

14. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

i know a girl who said she didn't like guys in that way but she didn't like girls either and someone said so ur asexual... i didn't even realize that as a possibility like the comment was off hand... we all kinda laughed so i feel bad know... it just never occured to me ya know?

15. littledinosaurs

Are there really a lot asexual people that are gonna be coming here? I mean if they are lacking attraction it'd seem odd that they'd want to visit a site all about dicussing sexual attractions and stuff....
    (i mean you should still put up the label but will it be used often? maybe idk i'm just wondering)

16. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From the front page of the site:
    Everyone wonders who they are, but not everyone is brave enough to seek the answer. Empty Closets is a place where you can figure out who you are, surrounded by other people just like you. Whether you're gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, curious, unsure or a friend of someone who is, Empty Closets will help you find the answer.

A lot of people come here trying to figure out who they are. A gay man may came here in the process of trying to fully understand whether he is gay, or what it means to be gay, etc. It wouldn't be all that unreasonable for someone who it asexual in the process of trying to understand who they are, to wonder if maybe they are gay and end up here. How many other people assume you're gay simply because you've never been in a relationship. Now imagine you're asexual and are in the same situation. They may have to deal with the same awkwardness, and potentially wonder what they are.

While this site might not be fully equipped to help asexuals, we can certainly understand the agony around understanding your sexuality. If nothing else we should be able to act as a welcoming ally, and IMHO if it helps one person understand their sexuality better, it's worthwhile.

17. MattyPatty

My brother is asexual. Personally, I think he's too opinionated and talks too much.. and rants too much xD but that's just his personality, not his asexuality.

18. SamAlex728

Well, Jarrett, it isn't really a matter of how often it is used, but to make the asexuals that visit the site feel included, and in my opinion, normal. I mean, how often do we go through the agony of not fitting in, or thinking we don't belong because we are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, etc. Even if it is not widely used, wouldn't some of the asexuals on the site feel just as normal as us. Not that all asexuals feel abnormal, just that most of us dealing with the confusion of our sexuality, at some point or another feel that way, and by not having "Asexual" one of the default options on the site, won't that make people feel like they aren't normal. Especially on a site like EC, just not having that option, could definitely make someone who is going through the same things as we, and sometimes worse than we, feel like we feel around homophobic people. Like we don't belong and that we aren't wanted. The circumstances may be different, but is all the same.

Sam

19. lordjord96

what is asexual?

20. Janvier