1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As a LGBT person, do you find it hard to talk to people of the opposite sex?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lovisa, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I feel you. This sounds about right.

2. Amdukias

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In fact I got gynophobia so talking to women is a lot harder than talking to men ^^". But I think that's nothing to do with my own gender at all. I'd be even afraid/a lot more suspicious about women if I'd be a (cis)girl myself.

3. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Find girls easier to strike up conversation with, but honestly it's just because we're more likely to have things in common and because If I strike up conversation with a guy I have to be more careful not to come across as hitting on them. But generally, It comes down o the individual rather than their sex, I have more female friends but am at that age when gender groups still don't associate so much- so unsurprising.

4. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally don't really find a difference when talking to men or women. I hear that people usually feel differently when talking to people of different sexes, but honestly, I haven't found a correlation based on their anecdotes yet.

5. Justinian20

I honestly do not feel different talking to either gender. I am as quiet as a mouse before people approach and talk to me but when they talk, that's when I become my talkative, can't shut his mouth self.

But it does depend on interest whether I talk a lot. Do you have the same interests as me, if yes we can talk a lot, I can tell you about my fantasy world, you can tell me about yours. We can have fun shopping and watching movies. Maybe if my friend was female I would probably be a lot more talkative, because when I have female friends we talk a lot more than guy friends. Although I am personally drawn to guys because when they are nice, it makes my heart flutter. but homophobic boys annoy me, especially my brother.

#25 Justinian20, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  6. Luca00

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah, not really, personally it often comes down to the person I'm talking with: with some it works and I'm "extroverted" (can you say that ?) with them, with others I feel like I'm being judged and I become really shy and reserved.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it has more to do with personality, interests, goals... With your typical "alpha" male, jock, or someone only interested in say, cars and sports, no. The women I've had the closest friendships with were "different" in some way, ie nerds, tomboys, goths. People say women are confusing, but I sometimes understand them better than men!

8. Nils

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find it easy to talk to/get along with most people (online, anyway) but my relationships with men aren't usually as close as my relationships with women v_v I'm thinking it's just cause the dudes I'm around are the 'top kek gamer' types

9. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not at all, I have a very good friend at school who is a girl. There is no awkwardness between us. Though she doesn't know that I'm gay, but I doubt she'd care.

10. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah. When I was eight I thought this one boy had a crush on me and it totally freaked me out and I started avoiding all boys and men because I was afraid they would like me. I hadn't yet realized I was gay at the time. Slowly my fear of men became a fear of all people and now I have social anxiety disorder. :\

11. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I find it a bit easier to talk to women and girls than men and boys. At the moment, I simply have more in common with most of the girls I meet.
    Overall it's also easier to talk to people who are also LGBT: my best friend is a bi girl and my other close friend is a trans boy.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm somewhat shy by nature, so it's sometimes difficult to work up the nerve to talk to a stranger. But it doesn't matter if the person is male or female.

Lex

13. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I sense that a girl is interested in me it makes me uncomfortable, but that was mostly when I was still unsure of my sexuality and in the closet.

Most of the time talking to girls is easy and talking to guys is easy, unless I find the guy really attractive then I will become a bit more shy.

When I sold my last vehicle these two guys who were a couple years younger than me showed up and they were both super hot and obviously straight, they were at my house for several hours because they decided to change the radiator of the vehicle in my driveway. Normally I would have hung around and helped them(since I have all the tools and the experience) but I got really nervous being around them, so I stayed in my house for most of the time LOL.

14. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not even slightly, if anything coming out has made it easier for me to talk to girls as they are willing to let down any guards they might have. If anything it can be harder to talk to guys cause even if they are straight they are on edge but even then only a few.

15. AKTodd

Nope, I find it easy to talk to people of whatever gender. That said, I'm also rather an introvert, so talking to people also costs me emotional energy, especially if I have to do it for any length of time. I can also only do small talk for so long without getting bored.

Todd

16. Margaret

I find most people easy to talk to, but occasionally I find talking to attractive women to be idk frustrating, almost always cuz I'm thinking "god she's gorgeous.." and I know she's probably straight and I don't want to flirt with straight girls.

#36 Margaret, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2017
  17. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find it harder to talk to guys.

18. Goldangel455

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since I am a dancer I am surrounded by girls so i definitely have more girl friends than guy friends. I think since I've spent most of my life with them I just am more comfortable with them.

19. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually get along better with guys, provided they either don't know my sexuality or are respectful about it.

I am a bit more masculine minded and more interested in "guy things" so to speak, and my ideal friendships tend to fit the male/male friendship type. In other words, I like to build friendships based off of similar hobbies. I mostly chat about hobbies and enjoy hang outs where we do an activity of some sort. I don't like talking about feelings, emotions, problems, or other people, which can make it hard to bond with many women. I am considered emotionally unavailable to them and they take offense to it. The few times I do want to talk about my problems, I want advice over sympathy.

That all being said, I'm also not one of those people who says "I can't be friends with girls". My best friend is a woman (although one who is more like me), so believing that would have made me miss out on this amazing friendship. I would never refuse a friendship with a woman, but I just feel like my friendship style is more compatible with the dudes I know.

Though male friends also have drawbacks. The friendzone/nice guy thing being the worst.

20. mpanagias

Actually it is harder for me to talk to a boy than a girl.