1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As a LGBT person, do you find it hard to talk to people of the opposite sex?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lovisa, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Lovisa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope I'm making sense.

I'm a bisexual woman, and I find it easier to get along with females more than guys. I don't hate guys - I just don't "get" their mental state. I've dated some guys, but tend not to engage in conversation with guys in daily life. I find a lot of (straight) guys clumsy and distracted all the time, not to mention impatient and a little demanding of life.

I don't believe I'm missing anything out by not dating guys. Women are usually more mature and level headed so it's easy to talk to them.

2. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Honestly, I find it hard to talk to anyone who I don't know that well. This has more to do with being shy and socially awkward. I'm a bisexual guy so it may be harder for me to talk to women. The only way that I can talk to people is if I'm meeting them as a group, or through joining an activity, club, or social event.

Most females tend to be turned off by bi guys but I've never really encountered that since I've never been in a relationship. Plus, there is the bi double standard which makes it hard.

3. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i find it easier to talk to women because i've grown up female and most of my friends have been girls my whole life. But i also feel out of place with both sexes.

4. guitar

Absolutely not. I get along with men and women just fine. Often times I get along better with women, especially once they find out I'm gay. "ooooooo you like guys? Me too!"

5. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found it easier to date other trans women. No awkward questions during the meal or worries that I'd be friend-zoned over being trans myself. I wasn't out as pan when I was on the dating scene (identified as a lesbian at the time), but I can imagine it would have made things way harder than it already was. As for just friends guys find me to be chill enough to hang around with. I'm kinda rough around the edges, so a lot of other women tend to shy away from talking to me.

6. AlamoCity

Yes. I find it easier to talk to straight men than straight women. With women, I feel there's an unwritten social expectation that she might expect I might try to get in her pants, and that makes me sometimes feel uncomfortable and makes talking to women harder (I'm gay).

7. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I don't have this problem, I have friends of both sexes and I find it easy to get on with either. I have more friends that are guys, but simply because there are more guys in our group. I have two close friends, one is a straight girl and the other is a straight guy. I tend to talk to the straight guy more often because a)we have more classes together and b) we're just slightly closer.

8. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Comparatively, not really but if I can manage to get started on a topic, I tend to not have much trouble talking to people of both the same and opposite sex.

9. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have lots of trouble talking to people in general. I've always been shy and socially awkward. I'm equally nervous when a girl tries to engage in conversation with me as with a guy.

10. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah, I'm just bad at talking to people.

11. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with them here.

Opposite sex I will take as girls, in which case I don't think I have a particularly difficult time. At least not moreso than guys. The main difficulty I find interacting with the fairer sex is that I not relate to them very well (I'm one of those guys quite befuddled by women in general). Ladies are awesome though.

12. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, not really. I don't tend to think about someone's sex, it's easy talking to people as long as we share common interests. Although, I can feel slightly out of place, it's not a big deal but there's sometimes this voice saying I don't belong with guys or girls. That's a trans thing though, not a sexuality thing. My sexuality never really affected how I felt.

13. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's easier sometimes.

14. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally find it hard to talk to a friend that i have a crush on because i'm worried i might say something wrong and that'll be the end of it.

15. LuciferMorningstar

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like talking to girls more because most guys who I work with/go to school with are 15-18 year old stereotypical teens. Shit music, homophobic etc. Most girls, at least in my profession, are usually 18-25 and it's much easier to talk to them.

16. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I'm all around socially awkward, but I will notice a significant strain when I'm talking to straight guys. I can chat up a storm with gay guys, but I've had a lot of bad experiences with straight guys "hitting on me" and not getting that me being gay means I won't like them back, not that I have to anyways considering they're typically not my type either.

It'll be a little bit of a trust stigma until I know they aren't talking to me for that reason. Once I've gotten to know them and I know they don't just think of me as a "prize" to forget a week later then that fear and awkwardness will fade away.

As you can likely imagine with my emotional instability and cautious disposition I have very few friends. :lol:

17. HojaVioleta

I find opposite sex hard to define. I have difficulty talking to cishet people, though.

18. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always had an uncomfortable feeling when I had to interact with guys.. That's why I have never dated one..
    Now that I know I'm gay I don't feel uncomfortable (I thought I was too shy back then) but I still couldn't be friends with a guy I feel like we have nothing in common..? I don't know.. All my friends are girls..I fall in love with girls.. So...that's it! :grin:

19. Sketchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You know I'm actually more comfortable around guys. I think it really comes down to personal experience. As I grew up, my brother and his mates were my only friends. In school, a group of girls allowed me in, I trusted them, told them I was gay and they freaked out. So henceforth I was/am anxious around new girls in case they think just because I'm gay, I 'fancy' them. In general, I tend to steer clear of atypical males AND females - I've never worn makeup, detest shopping etc. etc., dislike crude humour, skateboarding, testosterone show-downs and other such stereotypical behaviour. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that - they can like what they like! - they've just never got on well with, me.

20. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only insofar as there seem to be more male nerds than female nerds.