1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Art section[s]?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Gothitil, Feb 19, 2011.

?

Do you think this is a good idea?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

I figured that it would be a good idea to have some sort of art section. A writing and general painting/drawing/digital art kind of board.

This forum has a decent amount of members, so it wont be inactive, and it would bring in a lot more creative people. Also, I'm sure there are plenty of people (like myself) who want to post their creations up on the forum, but don't really have a definable place to do so.

I'm not really good at proposing ideas, so if you think this sounds do-able and you want me to elaborate on something, just ask the question and it will make it a lot easier for me.

I figured I'd add a poll to see what the people here think too in case they're too lazy to post saying their opinion. It's always important to see what the members who go to your forum think~

2. Shevanel

A stickied (at most) thread or two in Fun And Games or Entertainment and Media would be formidable enough.

3. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

I don't think so. (I wish there was a wagging finger emotion for this space right here)

If I were to write a short story, I wouldn't want to post it in a single thread where it would very likely be drowned by other peoples' posts and not be read by many.

If I were to post some of my artwork, I would want want a separate thread for my gallery where I could have all my stuff in one easily-accessible location. If I posted in just a thread where everyone else would, it would be drowned like a story would.

A major point in creating art or literary works would be to get people to see it. Not to get one or two people to see it then have someone else post their work and have yours be forgotten.

4. Shevanel

Still don't think it should be any sort of important feature on a site like this. There are many other kind of community type sites for that sort of thing (Flickr, Dev Art, etc). Those kinds of places would be much better if you wanted people to see your work.

That's just how I feel about this idea though. That it's unnecessary.

5. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

Well, what if I want people here to see it? People who aren't really friends so I won't PM/VM it.

I can't link them to Flickr, or DeviantArt.

I think a two new sub-forums in Entertainment and Media would do the trick. One for Art..art, and the other for writing.

6. flymetothemoon

Even just one new sub-forum in entertainment and media would be ok...it could be something that would allow people to post both their writing and their art in one subforum and people could choose to post however they wanted, whether they have one thread for their writing and one for their art so its kind of like a gallery or it could be posted individually...

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i don't think it's NOT a good idea, i just don't think it's really necessary

8. Arex

I wouldn't mind seeing one as an artist myself, though I don't think its truly necessary.

9. x2x2x2x2y2

^This. While I like art myself, I don't really see it fitting here.

10. maverick

^ I like this idea.

11. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

Yes, this is a better way at going at it. :slight_smile: I like this one.

Seeing as how this is a mainly gay support forum and the rest of the sections are just perks for the members, I don't really see how the following are really necessary:

Chit Chat
    Fun and Games
    Entertainment and Media
    Technology, Gaming, Soft-& Hardware

#11 Gothitil, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011
  12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i mean not necessary in that it would be made redundant by other, already existing sections of the forums. The divisions we have, like the ones you mentioned, are broad enough to allow discussion of anything already, and not so partitioned that it becomes a logistical chore to read all the forums one wishes

#12 Pseudojim, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  13. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

Technically, the bottom three of the four I listed can fit under the Chit Chat criteria, since Chit Chat is just general chat.

14. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes i know, but i think they all work as they are, on balance. I mean, fun & games is even bigger than chit chat, it wouldn't seem prudent to jam those two together. They are split for a good reason.

Though now that you mention it, technology + gaming + HW seems a little redundant too.

15. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

I just don't see the harm in adding one new subforum, where people actually have a chance to be creative which isn't really offered anywhere else on this forum.

Except the few legal debates that I've seen here.

16. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's always worth a try, you never know it will work until you trial it out, of course.

i've come around a little bit on reflection... I'd chat about art very regularly, i love all forms of it. Maybe "art & culture" or something. Not having voted yet, i think i'll actually go with 'yes'.

17. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

o3o Ooh! I like the idea of an "Art and Culture" section. Although I can see how the "Culture" part could be cause for very intense debates. o.o

And yay for a yes~ ^_^

18. flymetothemoon

I like that idea. I think part of the reason why I feel like it would be a good fit here is that I've heard of so many people who use art to express their confusion when dealing with something like coming out, or to express their identity, that I think it would be really interesting to see what some of us have written or done artistically. Also I think sometimes people are more comfortable posting something in artistic form than typing a post, but they might not feel they can put something like that in a section like support and advice even if they really want advice on how to deal with something.

19. Mr.Pushover

I like the Art section for a sub-forum, but I would hope literature and creative writing would be included, because I write music and songs, and I'd love to share my work.

20. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

I'll have to look into this a bit more. If I remember correctly, the technical admins and owners have been rather hesitant in the past about adding sub-forums to their websites because they're worried that they would be too hidden, look rather messy and don't tend to stay active enough to warrant an entire forum. I'll look into it, but I wouldn't be too surprised if there were objections to a sub-forum.

If a forum was to be created then it would likely be a new forum section, which would probably require General Chat category to be cut down a bit so that the section doesn't become too large. There would also need to be evidence of threads/posts on the forum to support the need for a new forum/section. That way we can have a decent amount of threads to move over if the forum is created. Things look rather out of place when you have a new forum with 0 threads and posts, so that's also something worth considering too.

But yeah, I'll look into what options are available. I didn't expect this type of section to have this level of interest, but it will need to be matched with evidence on the forum to increase the chances of getting the section approved. :slight_smile:

Martin.