1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you a minimalist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you like the simpler things in life? Do you live a minimalist lifestyle. I’ve gotten rid of so much stuff amid this pandemic and have come to the point that if I don’t have something essential, I don’t want it.

2. HM03

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Both my parents are packrats, and so is my dad's side.

I feel better (anxiety wise) in clean, minimalist environments. Nobody cohabitating with me would ever complain I'm messy. I like to think I'm minimal, but honestly my perception of clean is probably screwed up based on my family lol

#2 HM03, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say that I am a minimalist; though I have downsized my apartment about four years ago - I went from a one bedroom apartment to a studio which I don't regret as it helps me to replace things if need be, rather than buy something new and keep what I am essentially replacing. Through the move, I gave away things and recycled a whole bunch of stuff and it left me feeling lighter.

I will say, I don't think I could ever become a true minimalist as it would of course entail downsizing my book collection or replace books I have read with the ones I haven't or stop acquiring books altogether. I don't foresee this ever happening.

4. Loves books

I get sentimentally attached to books. Sometimes to other objects but mostly books. I have a kindle but before I got that I created a collection of over 250 books. They are mostly teen and YA fiction and I’m an adult now but I still like the stories. I have four 8 foot long shelves attached to my wall. Three of them hold books. The last one holds DVDs and CDs. I have stuff everywhere. The whole minimalist thing wouldn’t really work for me.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know that I would describe myself as a minimalist but I think I lot of other people would. My husband and I are pretty definite about what makes us happy. We have a few very nice things, but for the most part things aren't particularly important to us and as I get older it's become more and more apparent that having more just gets in the way of really enjoying the important things.

6. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never been one for decor. I don't care to have paintings or pictures on walls. Or picture frames on my desks/tables. I dislike clutter. So anything I can't really use, I don't own.

The only time I owned a few things that were just to make my place more homey was during the final year of university and I had the odd few bits and pieces on my desk but that was it. Everything I own must have a use.