1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you a feminist and what type(s) of feminist are you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Xemptor90, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Embi

Embi Guest

I'm an intersectional feminist because I think everyone is equal and should be treated that way. It's still not the case that all genders are treated the same way and sexism is brutal (yes, men suffer from that as well).

People who think we don't need feminism, startle me. In a world where women are oppressed in a lot of countries, where every time I go to a club, men will grope me without asking, where people claim that men can't get raped and women ask for it when they wear certain clothes, where there's still a wage gap in most (all?) countries, where "feminists" get angry when another woman is harassed but harasses a man moments later, where a man like Donald Trump can become President after saying the most stupid shit (one of them being "Grab 'em by the pussy"), etc. feminism is important.

Just because it's better than it used to be, doesn't mean it's okay. And feminism is for everyone, not just cis women. It's for every single gender, yes, even cis men.

2. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    definitely!!!

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Technically yes, but I don't know what type I identify as of this time.

I understand that a lot of feminists these days have gone off the overboard and have encouraged misandry.

On the other hand, ALL groups have bad people in them. I could say I don't identify with the LGBT community and that I hate bisexuals because they're all unfaithful people who hate lesbians and want to force us to sleep with men (my experience with most bi people outside of this site). Or I could say I hate gay men because they're sexists, racists, and ableist people.

But then I'd be labeled a hater or someone who stereotypes.

I am definitely against the misandrist feminists, but I feel misogyny is still wide spread. Hell sexism against women (and homophobic comments toward lesbians in particular) is on this website all the time, with posts never removed. Yet if I said something that was sexist to men or hateful to gay guys, I'd get banned. There's still a power wedge, even on this site, and I've seen it personally.

All I'm saying is that all groups are different and every group will have bad eggs in it.

4. A Number

I prefer the term "egalitarian"

5. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd probably be feminist if I lived somewhere like Saudi Arabia, but in NZ and other countries like uk and US I don't see how women are any more oppressed than anyone else. Most of the ideas that feminism today talks about are complete bullshit, so I don't label myself with a group that I don't agree with.:confused:

6. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I believe in equality between men and women. (And those who identify differently) There are problems that both face that need to be addressed. By that standard, I call myself a feminist, an egalitarian, a 'humanist', or whatever other word fits the bill. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 28th Feb 2017 at 04:57 PM ----------

Agreed! :slight_smile:

#26 ForNarnia, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely a feminist, and for a few reasons.

1. All people are equal, regardless of gender, and should be treated as such. I fail to see this actually happening on a societal level, even with all that's been achieved so far.

2. Women are still treated in a sub-par manner, even in our oh-so-"advanced", modern world. Decrying feminism as a movement because "women in other countries have it worse!" is inherently damaging. It suggests that there is no need for solidarity within our own borders, because what we have achieved is "good enough". And it also suggests that other cultures are inferior because of their treatment of women, instead of implying that they have a need for their own, unique and culturally relevant kind of feminism. The "women in (country) have it worse - they need feminism, not us!" argument is the sort of thing I hear used to belittle middle eastern women, and suggest that strong elements of their cultural identity need to be discarded in order for them to be "liberated" women - all of which is disgusting. I also hear this used to fight against progress for women in general.

3. Feminism has become a dirty word. It's meaning has been obscured and distorted, partly by a few extreme groups and partly by oppositionist groups, and I feel like this is being used to the advantage of groups that deliberately want women "in their place" - by impressing the negative stigma of feminism on undecided, or moderate minded individuals, more people are likely to decry feminism as a movement. Feminism has never been about the superiority of women. But by breaking apart a movement into several smaller groups that essentially hold the same values, but don't want to associate with one another, you effectively remove the threat that these groups present - you dismantle a movement that otherwise has the power to fight for progress. Egalitarianism is nice as a political ideology, but it's redundant as a social movement - and it's a good way to drive a wedge through feminist groups, and to get women to feel more secure in their equality when they head back into the kitchen and make their man a sandwich.

There was a time I would have said this was bullshit, that one word is as good as any other. But I've known men that have decried feminism around me and replaced it with words like "egalitarian" and "humanist", while not being for women's rights at all; while trying to actively get me to stop calling myself a feminist because feminism is about "women's superiority", and "how could I hate men like that?" Men that wanted me to be a certain way, for their benefit, and that completely rejected me as a transgender person when I disclosed to them because I have "nice boobs though". They didn't see me as equal at all, even though they claimed to be for "equal human rights".

4. Men need feminism because femininity is still seen as a laughable and negative trait for males to have, even as masculinity is being seen as more acceptable for females, and even as neutral, third, and middle-ground genders and expressions are being normalized, and trans rights are being advocated for. Men have every right to be as masculine or as feminine as they feel themselves to be, with no pressure. The fact is, it isn't even that women are seen as inferior - it's that femininity itself is seen as inferior to masculinity. Why else would, for example, jobs that used to be exclusively male-dominated become strictly "for women" once enough women are in that field - jobs like secretarial work? Or on the flip side, why are women pushed out of jobs that were "simple enough for women" once enough men have an interest in that type of work - jobs like computer programming? Men don't want to be seen as feminine, at any cost, even if being butch is all an act. That's the real reason feminism has become such a dirty word.

#27 clockworkfox, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  8. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm an egalitarian.

9. NoPlaceLikeHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm all for equality in every way, shape, and form, as long as you don't use it as an excuse to be an asshole.