1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are pronouns gender expression or gender identity?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Airisofparis, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Airisofparis

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ive always wondered are pronouns apart of your gender identity or are they a part of gender expression. Thoughts?

2. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say they're probably part of gender expression because they're sort of how you show yourself to people and because they're not set. Anyone can use any pronouns.

3. Space Cat

Pretty much what Ollie said. I often use "he" pronouns for the sake of simplicity, but that doesn't negate my identity as a nonbinary person. ^^

4. Delta

Definitely expression. The pronouns people want are part of how they want to be seen by other people, rather than something they are innately.

5. Irisviel

well considering the world is much more than just English language, it definitely can't be an identity, because transgender people are found in any nation.

It's not expression either. It's just part of language, which is a form of social agreement to carry certain meanings.

6. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Expression, it's how I want the world to perceive me and, I want them to interact with me based on the perception my preferred pronouns create.

With a female body like mine, getting to the gender neutral pronouns with others is not easy so, I have learned to accept female form all but those closest to me. Not worth the constant explanations and correction needed to make it otherwise. I've got better things to do in life than explain myself to every Tom, Dick, Harry, Sue Jane and, Nancy that I meet.

7. SystemGlitch

Pronouns by themselves are just words, the same that clothes are just clothes and hair is just hair. The specific pronouns that you choose to use may be a part of your gender expression, however, the same way that the clothes you wear and the hairstyle you have can be used to express your gender. Your identity is just who you are, and the pronouns you use/people use for you do not change your core identity.

8. Thomas Rhymer

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly right SystemGlitch, couldn't of said it better myself!
    For some people, Pronouns are a core part of their identity, much in the way their hair, clothes, favourite actor or sport is. For others, it's merely a formality, something that has to be there, but isn't really important.

9. pinkclare

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to say expression because I use different pronouns when I am in drag, but my core identity is not different.

I think there is a possibility for confusion because most people want their expression to match their identity.