1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are guns a deal breaker for you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vav, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Somebody who is a sport shooter is fine on my book. A hunter on the other hand it's not.

2. Gen

Gen

I wouldn't reject someone for visiting shooting ranges. I've known quite a number of people who have served in the military and often times they still are interested in military paraphernalia after leaving. It seems rather hasty to reject someone simply for that reason. There are many people who have visited gun ranges, but would never even consider keeping one in their home.

Would I want one in the house? I would not feel that I am in greater danger by its presence given that I would ensure that it is untouchable hypothetically; however, I hardly see a need for one in my home. Ultimately, I am not afraid of having a gun in the house, but I would simply not choose to get one.

Would hunting be a deal breaker? Absolutely. I would rather have a partner who wants guns because they feel that it would keep them more protected, then a partner who hunts as a hobby. It is not even about the concept of killing animals because I do consume some animal products myself. It is the concept of it being viewed as a lovely pass time that I will never be able to wrap my head around. I'll kill spiders that I can't get out of the house, but I am not going to walk outside hunting down arachnids for the thrill. It's twisted.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Im gonna say nah

4. wolf of fire

Depends on their use of them. I shoot air rifles at tin cans and stuff at a club, if my partner was into that then yay they can join me. I also wouldn't mind if they legally hunted for food (it's cheap at least and food needs to come from somewhere) but if I find out they have been killing for fun then relationship over on the spot.

5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. They're not.

6. Vav

Vav Guest

Shooting ranges aren't deal breakers for me, but it's still a turn-off.

7. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This would depend on the context. If they were in a line of work that required a gun as a form of self-defence (police officer, FBI, whatever) then it would be okay. If it was for hunting, no way.

8. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ... I'm a pacifist so I'd expect my partner to be or at least not prone to using violence so guns... Yes guns are a deal breaker

9. AlamoCity

I support guns if used for, say, hunting and for home defense. If they had a concealed carry (CCW) and exercised their right I would prefer they concealed their weapon rather than open carried (as is now legal in Texas). That said, unless they have a militia fetish, I would be OK.

Purely hunting would also be great, if not awesome.

#29 AlamoCity, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  10. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll say that I'd stay the hell away from somebody that has some sort of high powered gun for no good reason. Also, if they seem crazy and have a gun....... then I'd also stay the fuck away. Plus, in my experience, most people that own guns do either seem crazy or are people that I'd want to avoid for other reasons. So, yeah unless there is some logical reason behind it, I'd say yeah definitely I would stay away.

11. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having a gun in the house would most likely be a deal-breaker, with a few exceptions. But going to a shooting range wouldn't be, although it's not something I'd get too excited about.

12. Psaurus918

I dislike guns but if I really liked the guy and he only had 1 or 2 guns for home protection and kept them locked up, I would probably let it slide.

I would never date someone who owned an arsenal of weapons and went shooting every weekend or was like "f**k the government" but I think the chances of me even talking to someone like that is slim to none

13. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I own 2 air rifles for hunting rabbit. lol It wouldn't be a dealbreaker per se because it's totally dependent on the person owning them.

14. timo

yea

but i've never met anyone who actually owns a gun so it's not really a big deal

15. Bird person

Bird person Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Really I'm just saying since when have criminals followed laws

Attached Files:

16. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

17. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, pretty much, unless there was some unusual circumstance that would make having a gun necessary.

18. Bird person

Bird person Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let's just hope this dosnt turn into a liberals vs republicans war

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it most likely would be. Outside of farms, very few people in Australia own guns.

It would be a complete deal breaker if the gun ownership were for self-defence, given that the presence of guns in a household dramatically increases the risk of accidents, fatal domestic abuse (or the threat thereof) and suicide.

20. Not really, unless you have or develop an alcohol or drug problem. Owning a gun for self-defense is quite respectable, especially if you live in a crime-ridden area and you can't move out for financial reasons.

Another exception would be if you're a general asshat about it. If you're going to open carry a gun, don't be a douchebag about it. Don't carry long-arm into a McDonald's, in fact don't open carry long-arm in general. It doesn't make any sense and it's very unnecessary. Also it makes guys look insane.

Overall, it's such a petty reason to be considered as a dealbreaker, he/she just owns a gun, doesn't change his or her personality and how they feel towards you.

---------- Post added 5th Jan 2016 at 06:08 PM ----------

Totally agree. If you're going to go hunt, do it for food. Killing animals for fun is just repulsive.

#40 anthonythegamer, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2016