1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are gay ppl often to be smart?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by neverover, Dec 11, 2007.

1. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, basically the whole "well I failed in this way (being a "real" boy or a "real" girl), so I'm going to seek love and attention and validation in other ways..."

That was me!

2. sdc91

Well I just buried myself in schoolwork to distract myself from my homosexuality. It was my excuse for not having a girlfriend. And it helps my relationship with my parents, too, so I guess I'm "making up" for my "flaw". So yeah, I'll bet to some degree that gay people are above average academically.

I skipped 3 years of math, I'm always in the 99% percentile for all standardized testing, I go to a math and science boarding school, and at my old high school I was well within the top 1% (0.5% I think).

3. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

All of the gay people that I am really close to are brilliant. One of them is going to Stanford, another is already at Harvard, my boyfriend is going to Swarthmore (really competitive liberal arts school for those who dont know it), one of my lesbian friends is going to UPenn, and HOPEFULLY I'm going to princeton next year so we'll see about that in april. As far as assessing the intelligence of the gay community in general I really don't know what to say, I can't see any reason why we would be smarter.

4. EthanS

EthanS Guest

If its true then I'm straight ^_^

5. InaRut

Can someone say Post hoc ergo propter hoc?

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my gosh... I can't believe you know that! Finally someone else who knows that!

("That" being the fallacy of "after this, therefore because of this.")

7. Ty

Ty Guest

^

One of the first Latin phrases i learned .

8. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

ooh yeah! i remember that from AP economics

9. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

Unfortunately the exam board we're doing only offers a double award science (Which sucks because Science is my best subject)

Oh and i'm also averaging a B in AS Philiosophy

10. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I like to think I'm smart (as someone pursuing a doctorate), but since it took me like, a whole decade to realise something obvious I think actually I'm quite dumb....!!

Oh, and I do love Latin (sad, sad I know)

11. InaRut

Well that's because you are the greatest mother ever :grin:

...Louise too lol

12. Snowden

Perhaps an overemphasis on cerebral development makes it hard to keep in touch with one's more primitive instincts (sexual attraction, aggression etc.)? I don't know how true that is, but I certainly feel like that a lot of the time.

13. urbansamurai

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Go out to a gay bar when you're old enough and you'll realize that there are plenty of really stupid gay boys out there.

14. shulbert441

shulbert441 Guest

I really don't think that there is any connection. However, being curious has taken away from my school work... not that that has anything to do with intelligence.

15. Nicknikko

well... i don't consider myself smart at all... so i guess i break the rule..

16. CrimsonThunder

That makes sense, I never knew bout my sexuality till I was in my late teens. Hence why I'm a dumbass. ^^

17. waitingsucks

That might explain why I was really dumb and put no effort into school until this year when I accepted myself. I dono I'm top of my Science class (doing extension next year), in top 10% of our year and in the top 2 of the 2nd highest (out of 4) maths class. I was thinking about this seriously awhile ago but then I thought of all the dumb people who happen to be gay.

Oh yes I'm really modest and not cocky at all. lol

18. boy0boy

SERIOUSLY!

Funny, like previously stated: different circumstances provide different outcomes.
    I have a gay friend who dropped out 4 months from graduation.

I was not in the top percent of my class yet, way more intelligent than many who were ahead of me. Then again some of them choose the easy class for a boosted GPA. PLUS, who cares how booksmart anyone is... "common sense isn't so common" as my friend would say. Seriously, I think that's what I can attribute my "smarts" to.

I don't know latin, I hate math. I have a friend who can solve any math problem, and is a bonehead very often.

I think having a great appreciation for art (literature/music/etc.) takes your mindset and thinking and comprehension to a whole new level - a 'real' level, on par with common sense.

19. davo-man

Well Im pretty smart (I think Im gunna get at least 90 for a TER) but Im seriously dumb when it comes to common sense...like Im incredibly bad at catching buses, I get lost in the city and I cant drive to save myself. But I was an overachieving youngster which helped me later on when I slacked off, cos I could rely on all the stuff I learnt to heart when I was younger to back up what I was learning in like Yr 12 and 11 if that makes sense

20. pirateninja

I'm reasonably smart. I passed all of my 10 GCSEs at B or higher, I'm studying for 4 A-levels, hoping to apply for university, and at an average 120 IQ.

As someone might have said before, there could be something into this. It may not be cause and effect (just because someone's gay they're automatically smart) but it could be psychological. For example, someone gay is likely to be ostracised, which means less going out 24/7 which means more studying. Or an attempt at pleasing parents with schoolwork because they feel guilty for not being heterosexual.