1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone who knows about pedophilia laws

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Darsch Hielle, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Darsch Hielle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because crap I just realized something.

My girlfriend is 17, almost 18.
    I am 15.

And I just realized... does that mean that our relationship is illegal until I turn 18 as well?

Ahhhhhhhhhh dang it.

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on which state you're in and if they've passed a Romeo & Juliet law.

3. Darsch Hielle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So according to my state's laws, sex would apparently be illegal.
    Fine with me.

Does anyone know anything about whether things like kissing and stuff, and actually being in the relationship, are illegal?

4. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems like in most state of the US, having a relationship with a minor when you are over 18 is illegal, I do not know where you live exactly so can't tell you what laws apply to your case, but it's not news that some people end up registered as sex offenders for having sex with their 16 yo girlfriend while they are, themselves, only 18. Depending on the laws, it may be better to abstain from sex until you are both 18 in order to avoid getting her into possible trouble.

As a side note, I don't think an 18 yo dating and having sex with a 16 or so yo is pedophilia but unfortunately it seems like laws in the US are pretty strict about this. :/

Kissing etc...shouldn't be illegal but it all depends. Nobody would actually look to know whether you two are in a relationship or having sex but having sex (and maybe being in a relationship with you) could be a problem for your girlfriend if someone like yourself or your parents complain about it to the cops. Problem often occur because parents can't accept their child's relationship with an older teenager so go to the cops to try and stop them from dating. If nobody complains then the cops normally have better things to do.

#4 Lin1, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  5. faustian1

The answer to your question depends on which state your live in. Laws vary.

Just for example, in my state such a sexual relationship would constitute "rape of a child in the third degree," if your age difference is 24 months or more. You would be the "victim." If you were 16, then this relationship would not violate the law.

#5 faustian1, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reality is, prosecution on these laws is rare with the kind of age gap you're talking about, *unless* there is coercion or some form of abuse, or if a parent (in this case, your parent) makes a huge stink.

Additionally, and sadly, there's also a double standard, and when a female is the older person, prosecution is even less likely. Which... in this case, works out in your favor.

As long as you aren't having sex, there's absolutely nothing to charge your girlfriend with. Kissing doesn't trigger the law. And even if you are having sex, as I said, prosecution is rare. So as long as your parents aren't crazy, it's unlikely to be an issue.

7. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know it would depend on where you live. In other words, which country or state do you live in? In the US, such an age disparity where a minor is dating someone who is of age, can get the latter in a lot of trouble especially, if the two of you had sexual relations. I would ere on the side of caution, and cease dating until you were of age.

8. KevinDutch

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lesbian friend of mine had the exact same thing. Wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you don't go to the police amd say that your gielfriends raped you. Nothing will happen.

9. SunbroIbex

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She's not a pedophile. If she's anything, she's a hebephile. Though she's probably just a lesbian, she probably doesn't have an attraction towards you because you're underaged.
    But, both of you should keep quite about it, at least not tell others than your parents. There are many idiots out there who will ruin a good relationship just because one is 1 year under the legal age.
    Legal age is 16 here, which it is in most states in USA. And as it is in most countries.

10. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Legal adult is 18 in the USA.

11. killswitch0029

I know that some states the age of consent is 16 with some exceptions (based off what I know from seminars I've attended).

If you have a job or volunteer for a position where you're working with minors (18 and under) or if you have a child under the age of 18, the age of consent is risen to 18 years old. If the person is still in high school, even if they are 18 or older, a relationship with that person is considered illegal because they are still considered a minor.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the US, the minimum age of consent in most states is 16, but I think that's only in a sexual level, but even then each state has different guidelines.

13. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    State by state and no kissing isn't illegal if they're under 18 lol. Just type in "Age of consent in {INSERT STATE HERE}" into google or "Romeo and Juliet laws in {INSERT STATE HERE}"

This is what I found for Romeo and Juliet laws (please look them up on your own though). Magenta is states with those laws.

[​IMG]

#13 Geek, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016