1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone seen "Love, Simon" yet?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was a great movie, and the brave kid totally deserved that ice cream! - I could never have done what he did, he impressed me a lot.

2. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m 52 and have only been out about 6 months. I’ve been living in shame most of my life and sadly my mother has been a huge part of that. My advice is to be yourself when you are young, because time passes quickly. I worry I’ll never meet someone because I’ve wasted so much time hiding from the truth.

We spend so much time worrying about our family and parents that we forget to take care of ourselves. My mother will never accept me, but I realized how silly it is to worry about that. I can’t control her even though she still wants to control me. My religion is the same.... I can’t change who I am- God made me this way. There is no room in my life for a religion that hates me for who I am. I needed to find a niche where I was accepted for who I am, that’s why I’m here and finally I’m finding happiness.

We all want acceptance, especially from our parents, but that sometimes takes a lot of time- and in rare occasions, It will never happen. I’m learning to let that go because when I finally find someone- his opinion is what will truly matter!!!

3. KinleyMill

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haven't seen it but I want to. It will probably be a while because my parents don't know I'm lesbian.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're just getting ready to go see it. My husband and I go out to brunch every Sunday. Occasionally we do "popcorn brunch" which is a really early Sunday matinee. It's almost time for popcorn brunch!

5. ocaptain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I took a couple of my straight friends to see it with me when I went. Though I’m out, the only way you could have figured it out in that theater was maybe by the rainbow HRC bracelets I was wearing. There were quite a few groups of girls there. It’s basically a really cute romcom to all of them. Embrace that, and go see it! It’s so good!

6. KinleyMill

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. I plan to.

7. RusteeShak

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Would love to but as a closeted married man whose wife doesn't like RomComs, it might raise some questions if I ask her to see it with me. Also don't want to see that movie alone as a 45 year old man. I read the book and loved it even though the ending was too neatly wrapped up. Sounds like the movie may be the same way. I'll have to wait until it hits Blu-Ray when I can rent it and watch alone at home.

8. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I saw it and really enjoyed it, although I will say that I was disappointed by how small the crowd was. There were fewer than 10 people in the theater, including me and a friend I dragged along. And this was on the day it was released. I guess that's Arkansas for you.

9. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read a review that guessed that some folks bought tickets to one of the blockbusters and then snuck into the "Love, Simon" showing instead. Maybe that would work for you.

Sadly it would have worked well in my area, the showing I went to this weekend had a nearly empty theater. A few folks didn't come in until the room was dark and the previews were running... maybe they were doing what the reviewer said?

I thought the movie was good, and I started to cry in the scene between the Dad and Simon. I hope it is enough of a commercial success that more theaters and production companies could be encourage to make LGBT stories be mainstream.

I'm going to buy it when it comes out on disc.

10. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Who ever uploaded that clip. dang ya, it made me cry. Wish that could have happened to me.

11. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm seeing it Wednesday. I'm so excited. The book is one of my favorite books. When I heard they were making a movie I got so excited.

#31 Assassin'sKat, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  12. Maximum

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I am going to see it Friday with some friends (one of them is gay) and I've been talking about it a lot and I talk about Women's rights and Pride stuff a lot, I just don't know if I can come out and I'm kind of nervous they might suspect. But I've heard REALLY good things about the movie: The book is Simon vs. the Homosapien Agenda and it's in my top 20 favorite books!

13. Basicbilly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I saw it had to hide it from mom though it was so relatable for me

14. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    2 weeks since I posted this thread. Anyone else seen it?
    Comes out on Friday over here.

15. Riverhawk

Riverhawk Guest

I loved it! I saw it last Friday and I haven't stopped thinking about it since! It's actually what motivated me to come back on this website.

Just everything about it made me so happy. I've never seen a movie that I could relate to more than this. There were so many little things that I felt in a big way that I know none of my straight friends could have picked up on in the same way and that felt really special. I wish I had more gay friends to discuss the movie with though because there's a lot that my straight friends can't relate to, like the moment you first suspect you may be different.

I'm definitely going to see it again. We need more movies like this! Although I didn't cry, I think I would have If I had seen it in Highschool before I came out or if I watched it with my family.

16. kayteaugh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was really cute. I cried...a lot.

17. larkspur

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    it's definitely a huge step up from the pretentious art films made by straight ppl fetishizing lgbt relationships as some kind of unattainable hipster dramatic thing doomed for tragedy i'll give it that

i really liked it, having an lgbt movie that is built like the same straight rom-coms we've been seeing in the theaters for generations definitely gave me this feeling of inclusion and validation that i've never really felt before. they treated simon and his romantic pursuits in relatively they same normalized fashion that they would with a straight protagonist.

it's not a perfect film tho, like 80% of the film had simon dealing with his friend's hetero relationship drama which was pretty annoying, and honestly wayyy too drawn out. the ending also gave me some mixed feelings? but only because of a minor detail that just reallly didn't sit well with me.

SPOILERS please don't read if you haven't seen the movie i don't want to be responsible for ruining anything :,))
    Simon's friends were honestly snakes lmao. Like sure it sucks that they had their crushes all meddled with but Simon literally had no choice because that guy was literally threatening to out him to everyone before he was ready. AND THEN when he did get outed, his friends completely abandoned him and didn't even speak up for him when he was being bullied in the cafeteria??! Christ, if that happened to me i would honestly have a complete breakdown it was kind of terrifying for me to watch even tho it wasn't played as that serious in the film. oh and also early on when his childhood friend, that girl i'm bad with names lol, who had a crush on him finds out she gets mad that he didn't feel brave enough to tell her first? like girl, you have no idea how hard it is to come out lmao of course he came out to his newer female friend first instead of the person who's opinion he valued the most and was afraid of damaging. it's a lot of pressure! eventually that gets resolved by the end tho.

i really wasn't happy with the last scene on the ferris wheel? it kind of made me really uncomfortable for not only all his friends but also a bunch of random people standing there watching him for a loooong period of time as it was implied as Simon waited for Blue to show up. and then when Blue did show up they all cheered and clapped when they finally kissed, and that really killed the vibe for me. like if i was in his place i would be absolutely horrified for everyone i know and more staring up at me as i kissed my so for the first time?? and it came off as weird and fetishy of all the straight ppl obsessing over the relationship like that idk. Blue and Simon were really cute tho regardless and the moment would've been so heartfelt and sweet if they had just been alone on the ferris wheel.

so anyways, that's my thoughts on the movie. it was a huge step in the right direction, flawed for sure but all movies have their flaws, and even with the flaws it's still powerful and well written and well cast. i'd rate it like a 7.5 to a soft 8/10! it was really the most relatable lgbt movie i've ever seen in my life and gave me a feeling like my existence isn't some bizarre variant of the norm.

dang, this was like a full length review i'm sorry lol i just had a lot of thoughts about this movie and haven't been able to put them into words until now.

18. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First time I ever cried at a movie, and I cried twice. I definitely want to see it again and buy the DVD when it comes out (I know I'm old school lol)

19. TransAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I saw it just last night! It was wonderful! I cried a bit

20. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Want to see it so badly, but I am too chicken to see it alone. I’m such a dork: I won’t dine alone- go see a movie alone or pretty much do anything in public alone. Guess what? I’m alone in my gay life.

My social life only involves straight friends. I live in the most closeted place on earth... so it seems. I don’t know 1 gay male. I would ask a straight friend to go... but I’ll probably just wait until I can get the DVD.

On a side note, Kristen Bell bought out the theater in Minneapolis for people to see it for free. Bravo for her!!!