1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone seen "Love, Simon" yet?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It came out in US cinemas this week. It looks really, really good. Did any of you enjoy it?
    3 more weeks until it's release in UK cinemas. I desperately want to see it, but I can't without parents getting suspicious.

2. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not yet, but can't wait to see it

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're going tomorrow. It's not really the sort of movie that we would normally see in the theater, but I kind of feel we should support it commercially. I'm surprised how much advertising they've done here. We actually saw the trailer in the theater; there've been bus stop ads, the whole thing. It looks really cute. I hope it does well.

4. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I haven't seen it yet either, but it does sound good, better than most romantic "comedies".

5. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I saw it yesterday, it's a really nice movie and is put together well. After the movie ended a really cool thing happened too. A kid who looked about 13ish walked to the front of the theater and asked for peoples attention for a minute. He came out as gay to other people for the first time in front of a theater of strangers. He was planning on telling his dad that night and wanted to build confidence for it. People started clapping for him and it was really awesome.

As we were walking out I somehow lost @Destin and found him talking to the kid and buying him an ice cream from a Cold Stone next to the theater for being brave. I hope it goes well for the kid and he can always remember that special day in his life.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Saw it last night with 3 friends. We all agreed it was really well done. A combination of a lot of subtlety, some great Glee-like comedy bits (such as when Simon imagines being gay in college), and it's clear that all of the characters have been carefully thought out, diversity is addressed... good writing, good emotional development. Overall, a really awesome film.

7. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Saw this clip. You know, I really wish that I would hear something like this from my father one day. I just know that I won't.

Just over 1 minute of the movie and it has already touched me.

8. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That’s so amazing! Kudos to the kid for having the guts to do this and to your friend for supporting him. This is what restores faith in humanity!!

9. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope your father comes around. Our parents are supposed to love and support us, but sometimes they are oblivious to our needs! How hard is it to accept someone and tell them you love them? I’ve never had this problem!!!

10. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I still don't think I'll be able to see it in theaters, but I'm about 2/3 through the [audio]book it's based on, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and I really like it so far, though it's going by too quickly.

Okay, that is AWESOME. I can't even imagine having the courage to stand up in front of an entire theater and announce anything, never mind something extremely personal like that. And that is just great that your boyfriend bought him an ice cream. Super cute and probably a gesture he'll never forget. :slight_smile:

11. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks.
    He doesn't know that I am gay (may suspect it), but has made too many homophobic remarks that I don't trust him. If he ever feels guilty for saying them when he finds out that I am gay, I would be very happy.

12. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow - that took a lot of bravery on behalf of that kid. I really hope that his parents took it well.

13. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hear you... my mother makes so many queer jokes, I want to scream!!! I tell her how wrong she is, but she’ll never get it. I’ll never be out to her... my dad on the other hand is old and so damn kind. I wish everyone could have a dad like him. He doesn’t judge, is never mad and has a sense of humor!!! I’ve honestly never heard him say anything negative about being gay- love that man!!!!

Just know there are lots of us who are accepting and be proud of who you are!!!

14. smurf

This was everything I wanted it to be. Its your cheesy teenage love story...and i LOVED it. So adorable and you can't help but leave the theater feeling giddy. At my theater there were also SOOOO many gay people it was great.

15. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Although my mum is more accepting of LGBT issues in general, she is a strong Catholic, so I am stuffed either way.

16. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh no!! My mother is a strong Catholic, too. What’s up with Catholic mothers? The only church I can go to any more is for a wedding or funeral!!! Heaven help us Catholic boys!!!!!!

17. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Heaven help us indeed!
    I can't deal with the RC Church any more. It isn't accepting whatsoever, and even if my mother is accepting of my sexuality, I highly doubt she would attend any future gay wedding of mine, which would likely break me.

#17 Joe2001, Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  18. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know how you feel!!! I like the new pope because he is more accepting, but unfortunately the rest of the church isn’t and I doubt they will change. I gave up on my faith when I went to college. I would guess if you invited everyone on this site to your wedding, they would show up and support you!!!! That’s the great part of Empty Closets everyone is just so chill and accepting! Hang in there, sometimes parents surprise us and change, but if they don’t... know you are true to yourself and not ashamed.

One quick story on how evil my mother is... when I was younger and cried, my mother called me a sissy and a fag, because they were the only boys that cried! I’m not really feminine, but she was right about me being gay. I can laugh about it now, but it was so traumatic for me. That’s why I’ll never give her the satisfaction of telling her I’m gay!!!

19. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sad that you'll never tell your mother. I will tell my dad at some point. My parents are the only people whose opinions I really care about. If some extended family members weren't accepting, I would just cut them out of my life, and they probably wouldn't be too much of a loss.

Would love that if random EC members ended up coming to my wedding! :slight_smile: I agree that the community is awesome.

BTW - what your mother called you was quite abusive. What age are you now?

20. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, and I loved it!

There were lots of moments where I was able to relate to quite easily. I wish this movie was out when I was in high school. But, I'm also glad that I wasn't out in high school because of how my parents would've reacted back then compared to now.

Nick Robinson was great in it. And I loved seeing Josh Duhamel and Jennifer Garner as a couple.

I was even able to mention seeing it to my parents when i talked to them over the phone. they hesitated briefly, but seemed to be fine with it, which is good and a sign of continued progress since my coming out in Jan/Feb.