1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone feel like they're in a fix between the SJWs and the Trump supporters?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Xemptor90, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Xemptor90

Xemptor90 Guest

I feel like I'm in a fix right now. I go to a college that is quite conservative so a lot of the students there support Trump. Most of the students that are in my college are white, and straight so I don't fit in already(I'm black,a woman and queer/gay). Most Trump supporters come off as bible-thumpers and uber conservative when it comes to social issues. A lot of Trump's fans think that Trump doesn't make mistakes, especially with some of his cabinet choices, or his solutions to certain issues and even refer to Trump as God-emperor. *Ohh the cringe.* However, the alt-left, the people who I would normally feel comfortable with, are now very intolerant when it comes to opposing opinions. The alt-left on my campus are not as violent as other Sjws on other US campuses but they share the same mentality. If you criticize modern feminism, black lives matter, etc. you'll be seen as a bigot, racist, misogynist, etc. A lot Sjws either shut you down by swearing, running to their safe space, or shutting down an event that doesn't agree with their opinion. They never want to argue with you with words. I know the right doesn't want to admit it, but both the right and the left get triggered. Let's be real, nobody likes it when their ideas get challenged.However, one thing about the right is that more people seem more sane and willing to talk to individuals with different opinions from theirs. I'm curious if anyone feels/has felt the same way as me on this issue.

2. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I go to a very left-leaning campus (not in the US), and I feel the same way. When I run into more conservative students, they are pretending to be the next Hitlerjugend or something, and the left really wants to import the SJW crap from America to our country. So I generally avoid talking to them, or whenever it's inevitable, I pretend that I agree. Once I get my degree (if ever), I never want to see them again.

3. Xemptor90

Xemptor90 Guest

Wait, what country is your university located in?

4. L0ser

Definitely. I see see myself as a left leaning independent, in terms of American politics, but now the new left is making it embarrassing to even call myself left leaning. And it's not as if I disagree with a lot of what 'progressives' are saying, aside for the frightening direction they're taking in terms of censorship, but it's all so radical now. It's crazy how people just scream at each other, demonizing the opposite group. The hypocrisy on both sides is awful, and it makes it impossible for me to support either group. I really hope that by the time the next election comes around people will have calmed down a little.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and it's just so frustrating.

5. Justinian20

I think SJW's are just honestly not that good as people. I consider myself a person who is more left than right wing, as I believe in gender equality, free sexuality(sex is not taboo to me, it is something that is completely normal), marriage equality, human rights of the third world, (Christian groups are going in the wrong direction for Africa, we should be teaching African people that same sex relationships are completely normal and natural).

But I'm not an SJW, I don't believe that every straight white male is transphobic, a rapist or anything like that. I'm pretty sure some straight white males are actually trans allies, allies to gay men. Yet SJW's are just like every straight white male is transphobic and so on and so forth.

I think that is stupid. It's almost like this, the right got extreme and crazy and so the left decided to become more extreme and crazy to catch up. I am not extreme but I am a very left leaning person.

6. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely. For most of my life I've had both sides tell me to "pick a side", but why should I pick a side when both are so profoundly myopic, hypocritical, and, to be frank, full of shit? Unfortunately both sides are becoming more and more radical, especially with the advent of the Trump presidency, and many people feel they must choose alliance with one side to counteract the other. And those of us who are more moderate, refusing to kowtow, become increasingly alienated and disillusioned with the American political climate.

7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know this is an odd reference to make, but it's sort of "pick your poison" in sort of the same sense to how both factions in Skyrim are essentially corrupt.

Technically I'd say I'm more of a left leaning neutral, but if I were forced to pick a side I'd pretty much take anything over the "Assorted bag of Crusaders and Nazi SS troops" over there. I know it's kind of survival instinct to pick the ones who don't want you dead... even if the other option can be measurably ridiculous at times.

8. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to deal with sjw's all the time, since I hang out in the queer resource center, an official "safe space".
    I hang out there to feel like I am not the only queer, and it's a nice feeling. But everyone else there is totally anti-trump. Look, man, I'm not some Trump superfan or anything, but I don't hate him, and I am actually glad he won. He's a lot better than Hilary. I also disagree with a lot of left-leaning political views.
    But I'm obviously not a total conservative either. I watch a lot of anti-sjw videos on youtube, and I sometimes think maybe they are being closed minded sometimes. Like I just watched this video that was dissing polyamory, and I disagreed with it.
    So yeah, I guess maybe I get what you mean.
    But anyway, I don't want to go totally one way or the other without giving it any thought.

9. Jellal

Pretty much all my friends in real life, and everyone I went to school with, hates Trump. Many of these people are definitely what I would call social justice warriors... actually, a few of them are very proud of that title. In my experience with online groups, these days especially it's people on the right who are much more open to debate than those on the left, who love to pull out that line about how debating with the right is "legitimizing violence by accepting fascism as rational" and other such bunk. It's really tiresome, and this is the sort of spam I have to put up with on social media from all the people I know. They don't want to hear out any sort of nuance, they just harp on the most extreme fear-mongering angles they get from the news they consume, and throw a hissy fit if you dare to offer up evidence that contradicts their narrative. I love these people as friends but I disagree strongly with their worldview of ranking people by privilege points and silencing speech by no-platforming their opponents. They support Antifa and believe strongly in the "necessity of punching Nazis." I think Antifa are thugs, and I believe that resorting to violence is only showing how desperate and incoherent the left is becoming in America. Naturally I've learned that I *cannot* talk to my friends about this. It just doesn't work.

From what I can tell, a lot of Trump supporters have far too much blind faith in the man. However their communities welcome my opinions and humor more than the leftists groups I've dropped comments on, who have accused me of being a Nazi collaborator and a paid Russian troll for spamming their meme pages with sarcasm about how wonderful it is that they're looking at pictures of guillotines and chimps tearing each other apart as models for how their political ideology should operate. To see my friends going along with this and acting like it's just and rational frustrates me more than any current right-wing idiocy.

10. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get what you mean but I don't agree fully. The right is just not shutting down convos now because they got their way with the election and their stances are for supporting the majority populations which is going to be less controversial. Many conservatives get pretty touchy about those same topics and get equally as triggered. They automatically think BLM is anti-white etc.

I think it has not always been the case that "SJWs" shut down other opinions and such. During the McCain era and etc it wasn't like that really. Now it's like that because people feel hurt, marginalized, and angry by the current political climate. It definitely isn't ideal for people to be so close-minded. However keeping in context with how much minorities have been hurt, there's going to be that gut reaction.

Also not all SJWs are like that + they are important for progress to happen. MLK would have been a SJW.

I'm pretty open to people usually but recently people who support racist people like our president I don't have much tolerance for. Probably because those same people were willing to look last someones racism, sexism etc and basically say Minorities are not as important to them as other issues.

Goes both ways. Bush era people wouldn't hear liberal ideas.

---------- Post added 6th Mar 2017 at 09:29 AM ----------

Yeah naturally people are going to want to go toward others that believe the same and a lot of the recent rhetoric from the right has just been downright scary. As annoying as some liberals can be, at least they aren't alt-right folks who think white people are the ideal race and there should be a place of only whites.

---------- Post added 6th Mar 2017 at 09:32 AM ----------

Sidenote I don't support punching people at all but I think even conservatives would look back in the day and support a punch or 2 if the conversation was about literal Nazis in WWII. Or the folks who wanted separate water fountains. Or the KKK back in the day. Richard Spencer was punched for having the same core beliefs as Hitler's posse. People would pay to go back in time to punch the tar out of the Nazis.

#10 midwestgirl89, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  11. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm part of the American left, though that doesn't mean much since our spectrum has shifted so far to the right it's ridiculous. This is because of 1) more money in politics and 2) Democrats caving in to the Republicans, while the Republicans don't want them associated and decide to move further right. Internationally I'm centrist. So in a way I'm not in either camp.
    I find SJWs embarrassing. I'm a free speech absolutist. I don't care about your feelings; I don't care if you're offended. I think Milo Yiannopoulos is a loathsome human being, but I'll support his right to speak, and if we want we can do a speech afterward debunking what he said. I partly blame sjws for Trump's victory.

12. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome to the minority that is the rationally thinking middle ground. Also keep in mind that the nutty left wing and the nutty right wing are attached to the same bird, and none of them really care about the people they supposedly represent.

Honestly I have a hard time checking facebook anymore, because I legitimately want to punch all of my friends in the face over nearly every topic. I dislike half the stuff my right leaning friends think and say about a swath of subjects and dislike half the stuff my left leaning friends think and say about the same stuff.

Its like hello there is some middle ground here. We can compromise and get both sides to be pretty happy about most things.

13. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The similarities between SJW-ism and its nascent doppelganger the alt-right are striking. Both are conflict-oriented and delineate clear oppressed classes and oppressor classes. They are just the inverse of each other. Where SJWs see white males as inherent oppressors, the alt-right sees them as inherent victims. Both take potentially rational political outlooks to useless extremes.

There are also similarities between SJWs and religious fundamentalists. Those who break with SJW "dogma" are seen as "heretics" and are metaphorically burned at the stake for doing so. SJWs also seem to have a concept of original sin, where white people have "privilege" by virtue of their existence (and some take it farther to claim that all white people are inherently racist).

#13 Libertino, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  14. HighQualityLog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely. I am quite surprised [and happy] that many other LGBT+ people feel the same way. I lean left and actually kinda started entering the SJW mindset during a bad time of my life. You know, the whole mob mentality, never questioning anything ever or being labelled as hateful, bigoted, etc., taking pride in being disrespectful and hateful towards others under the guise of "being angery!!!!!!11", arguing about the most useless stuff ever, and loads more. It wasn't until recently until I left that sort of mindset and began to think for myself without worrying about irrelevant people peering over my shoulder, policing every thought crime of mine; I had and have to still distance myself. :***: It's so, so pathetic. These people are going nowhere in their lives worthwhile. I always feared that every LGBT+ person would go down this path, but it's refreshing to see some are more thoughtful and won't buy into this sort of temper tantrum.
    Make no mistake, however. I feel a similar animosity towards extreme Trump supporters. How can some of them just praise him and their movement when facts are there refuting their argument? It's so surreal. It's fanaticism tantamount to SJWs. Don't like something? Scream fake news!!!!! Somebody disagrees with you? Throw a fit!!! :tantrum:
    It's almost as if the extreme left and the extreme right are of a similar nature. :rolle:

#14 HighQualityLog, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  15. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't say I've ever encountered a SJW in real life and the few Trump supporters I know are pretty sheepish about the whole thing so tend to keep a pretty low profile--so I guess, no.