1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else have experience with Trans Lifeline?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MaxDanger, Mar 15, 2018.

1. MaxDanger

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just called at the urging of my therapist (not because I am in crisis, but because she wanted me to go through the motions so that when I am in crisis, it's easier to call) and my experience was sadly, negative.

The woman who answered was curt, unfriendly, and disconnected on me. I simply explained my reasons for calling and then asked, so how does this work when I AM in crisis? And we got disconnected. Not sure if this was just a bad connection, or if she didnt believe me..?

Conext: This was after a very terse intro statement and literally zero questions. She just said mechanically, "we are here to listen and support you" after I explained my reason for calling.

Anyone else have an experience with them?

2. MaxDanger

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, so I called again and got the same woman and it sounds like she has her headset on mute. I did the same thing when I was training at my last job.

I called a friend to see if they could hear me and I came through loud and clear.

I just wanted to share this because I don't want my one experience to reflect negatively for other people; it was just a simple technical error on their end.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard both positive and negative things about them. It really depends on who is working it seems. That being said, there are other support hotlines that are not trans based, but they can still be helpful. If you would like those let me know and I can get those for you.

MaxDanger likes this.
  4. MaxDanger

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that would be great. I've definitely been in need of this kind of resource lately. Thanks.

5. SRO

SRO

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I contacted Trans Lifeline twice. The first tine I was in a major crisis. I live in a small town where everyone knows everything except for my big secret. When my wife was out of town I went shopping at a larger city where I thought I could be out and not run into anyone I knew. I was wrong. I ran into the biggest gossip in town. I was wearing a nice sweater, a scarf, yoga pants, and my new high-heeled ankle boots. No make-up, no wig, maybe feminine, mostly gender-fluid. The person I ran into wanted to chat right there in the Target parking lot. I faked my way through the conversation, trying not to draw attention to my outfit. By the time I got home I was in the middle of a full panic attack over being caught mostly dressed. Hyper-ventilating, crying, etc. I called Trans Lifeline. The person I talked to sounded like a young female. She was extremely good. She had me breathe with her, counted the breaths, talked to me. Eventually I calmed down and could breath on my own. She really saved me. She took her time. I eventually realized that the lady I ran into was so much into herself she never noticed how I was dressed and never said anything but I learned that you can never be too careful. The second time I called Trans Lifeline I was not in crisis but needed someone to talk to. The second woman was older, about my age, and we just shared stories. She was fine but most of her suggestions for talking to my wife I had already tried. Even so, she tried and I appreciated her efforts. So don't give up. Hang in there. There is always help out there (I've learned).

Best wishes,

Susan

MaxDanger likes this.
  6. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It’s kind of like that one 911 operator who hung up on a girl because he decided she wasn’t being polite enough (while her father was on the ground dying)- there’s always gonna be a wackadoo or two in the mix, it probably depends on who answers the phone.

MaxDanger likes this.