1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else have a massive amount of stuffed animals as a kid?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kai LD, Aug 22, 2014.

1. timo

I had a shitload of them. They're still somewhere at my parents' house as I cannot bear throwing them out. They mean too much. I even brought one of them with me to my own apartment and eh... yeah, he still sits on my bed :icon_redf

God I feel old now.

2. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I do and still have them today. It isn't a very big collection but it's a bunch. They range from Disney characters to Beanie Babies (majority of them being dogs). I don't get much anymore besides the occasional ones from conventions such as a Slime (Dragon Quest) and Jake the Dog.

If for some reason I ever had to part with them I would keep my Simba (which is nearly as old as I am) and my Goofy I got fromnmy first visit to Disney World.

3. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Last one I had was a 3d Kick the Cheat. Gave it to some friends, where it remains on display as a sign of allegiance to the Homestar Runner.

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

yeah. it is depressing but they make me happy.

5. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm gonna have to get a Jake the Dog one that sounds awesome/cute/wonderful.

6. SeaSalt

Yep, too many to name. Still have most of them. My favorite is a Pink Elephant called Harry that my Mum got me when I was sick on one of my birthdays.

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. I still have a few of them stored away somewhere.

I actually remember my mum once putting all of them into a bin bag and threatening to throw them away because I was misbehving. I was pretty upset, lol.

My favourite growing up was a stuffed Barney toy. I remember losing it and being really upset for weeks. My mum searched all over the place but couldn't find it anywhere, so ended up buying a new one.

I also have this old stuffed dog toy that was given to me by some nurses when I was in hospital.

#27 imnotreallysure, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes and umm..I had a close relationship with one of them, my bear Andrew. O_O.

9. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I had well over 300 but now I have 4. I just kept the ones that had the most sentimental value. And they are placed around my bedroom. Such a grown up I am! My favourite is the tie dye Beanie Baby version of Batty. I will NEVER part with him.

#29 XenaxGabby, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  10. LovelyBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have 15 stuff animals currently and Im an young adult, you cant deny cute man:icon_redf

my fav is George hes my *trans monkey* literally I decided he was *trans at 9.
    Even though I didn't know what that was, I told my Dad to only by George girl clothes

Dad: Why? George is a boy, right?
    Me: No George is a girl... he wants.. to be at least.
    Dad: Why don't you make George a girl
    me: he was born a boy
    Dad:...
    Me: But he wants to be a girl.
    Dad: ok.

#30 LovelyBunny, Aug 22, 2014
  11. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is adorable. Continue. :slight_smile:

I used to whisper into the ears of my closest fuzzy confidants as I hugged them. Don't get to do that sort of thing enough now. :icon_redf

12. Acm

Acm Guest

I had so many stuffed animals, it almost became a problem. They filled my entire room. Each one had a personality, a name, and friendships with certain other stuffed animals. My favorites were two cats I called Elka and Dizzy. I had a lot of every kind of animal, but I had a TON of cats. I still have some in my room.

13. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup...way too many, way too long. I had a problem. I'd go into a drugstore near Valentine's Day, 'cause they had the cutest stuffed animals then, and I'd buy something pretending it was for a love...but it was for me. Some of my favorites were a pig named Oinkster, and an odd lump with really long hair that you could comb into different styles and give eyebrows and a mustache or whatever. And my very favorite was a small bear named...um...Bear...that I got when I was 3 years old and slept with every night until I left for college. Hmmm...or did I take Bear to college, too? He was awesome, 'cause he wasn't your classic "Teddy"...he was a "real" bear in profile, positioned just right to tuck your arm beneath his neck and hold him to you while you slept. And yes, each had a name and its own personality...and politics amongst them, especially when it was time to choose a subset to go on vacation with me.

Then relatives started dumping their kids' animals on me...NO, do NOT give me your stupid no-longer-loved refugees! I had zero attachment to them, but didn't feel I could kick them out. I had animals on the bed and covering the shelves above my bed, spilling onto the floor. Finally, I started refusing new shipments. I got up the nerve to shove the really unloved ones into the back of my closet.

When I moved out of my parents' house, they stayed on the shelf in my room for years. Finally, when I was in my 30's, mom and dad asked very sensitively if it would be ok to box them up. By that time, I was friggin' ready...I was feeling oppressed by the combined weight of their existence. And by that time I'd figured out that more and more animals couldn't take the place of a beloved human being in my bed at night.

But I fear it's a lifelong recovery process.

14. Nekokoneko

Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a lot as a child and they all had names and interpersonal relationships and everything. I've only kept a select few and now I've built up a new collection and they all have (ridiculous) names (Nyan-Nyan, Mochi, Ramses XIV, Tanpopo, Livius, etc.). Only a few of them got to come with me when I moved though the rest have to wait for me in the US.

When I come home I always tell them "I'm home!" and then in other voices I say "welcome back" but maybe that's just sad and not cute at all...

#34 Nekokoneko, Aug 22, 2014
  15. PICollins91

Yeah, used to have a mountain of them on my bed. Not sure what happened to them all but my old comrade "Fuzzy" is still hanging in there.

16. justjade

Not only that, but I also had a massive amount of stuffed animals as a teenager, probably up to 17 years old.

17. Randomcloud

I had a lot of stuffed toys but most of them were actual characters so lazy me didn't have to think up names or personalities (eg. The Powerpuff Girls, Pikachu..)

18. JessieRayne

My own little corner in my own little world
    Psh... No.... Thats ridiculous.... Even more ridiculous is if you asked me if i am almost 18 and still have them. *Casually struggles to push closet door closed to conceal obsessive amount of stuffed animals* hah.. hahah.. hah... .__.

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you mean, as a kid?

I have several dozen, some quite ancient (as in from the 60s, so not actually ancient), and all are kept in a box. I don't want to get rid of them, but I don't have them laying out.

20. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have 2 phases of stuffed animals: The regular animal phase and the anime phase.
    Before my family decided to move out of a place full of crazies, I had an insane amount of stuffed animals, to the point where they'd fill my entire 4-poster Ikea bed (I'm small, it works). Like you, I did play favorites. Definitely. My grandmother gave me a stuffed dog with the "Tuggles" brand, and I decided to keep the brand name as its name, because it just seemed to fit.

I think it's one of the reasons why I tend to be blunt, because I'd notice at times I'd swear it was my lifeblood if I was asked, but I never really did too much with it. So when the time came, I decided to be fully honest with almost everything. "Almost" being if there's something a sibling is curious about, but I can't tell them.

And then we moved. And in that moving was a purge of things, including many of my stuffed animals, and all my pokemon cards (which I now regret). Very few survived, including a Marrill that transforms into a pokeball via zipper.

And then my sister played TeamFourStar's "Make a man out of you", and showed it to me. I initially shrugged it off, but after the 4th watch, that set off a whole chain of events, including me getting very much into anime, our family going to cons regularly once again, finding out I'm LGBT (thanks to anime), and deciding to pursue a career in post-production.

And so then came the new flow of plushes. Which now consist of pokemon, Hetalia, a cheshire cat, a small fluffy kitty, Alucard, Darth Vader, and many more. Oh yeah, I did commission a friend to make me a matriorb plush (from Homestuck).

One more thing: Kai, your bunny's name reminds me of this:
    [​IMG]