1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else hate America?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tommycee, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Gen

Gen

Clearly, I am not satisfied with the state of this country. Nor am I satisfied with the state of quite a number of nations across the sea for more reasons than one; however, when I witness injustice on this continent or another, I don't determine my degree of frustration based on its nation of origin. I have no interest in living in a flawless utopia while billions still suffer. Crimes against humanity are crimes against humanity regardless of whether they are committed by the U.S., Russia, U.K, etc.

There might very well be certain annoyances that I might face in this country rather than another, but that the doesn't change the fact that I currently live a more privileged life than the majority of human life during this period. I would much rather work towards combating that reality than searching for locations where I can leave in an even more carefree bubble.
    The mass slaughter of the Native Americans would have no doubt occurred regardless of what flag was left standing. America is guilty of heinous crimes of genocide and slavery, but there is no denying that the origins of those practices trace directly back to it's mothers in the European world.

2. Ryujin

I hate all countries.

But now is not the time to be ranting about the benefits of Anarchism :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. King

I don't hate America, it is a great country and many of the people living there are outspoken, which I love.

Many people are jealous of America's influence, and they dislike the political/social influence America exerts on other nations. I must admit I find terms like 'awesome' and 'movie' particularly irritating, but fortunately I am just about clever enough not to turn that into hatred :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It will be interesting to observe the rise of China and see whether people stop becoming jealous of America's dominance and instead show similar resentment to these up and coming nations.

4. newfish

No, but I think I'd like to live for at least a significant amount of time outside of the U.S. It can be a really frustrating country

5. Joelouis

All this hatred for America, especially from European countries is quite sad to see.
    As for WWII, I think it's fair to say that EVERY allied nation played it's part in the defeat of Nazi Germany. No one nation can claim to have played the major role.
    As for Germany itself, it's great that they have grown into the country it is today, and it's citizens are - mostly - ashamed of the dark days of the war.
    Well done the people of Germany. While some other nations may have an internal dislike for you, they also admire you deep down. I know I do.

As for the US, I don't hate your country or its people. In fact, when I went to Australia, the best people I met were American holidaymakers up in Cairns. I'm still in contact with them to this day.

America has its bad points I'm sure, but they are far outweighed by its good points.

#145 Joelouis, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The one statement that about the United States that makes me shake my head more than anything else is that "We're the greatest country in the world!"

No we're not. We're 14th in education, 24th in literacy, 44th in health care efficiency, 2nd in ignorance, 66th in religious tolerance and diversity, 101st in peace, 22nd in gender equality, 46th in freedom of the press, 22nd in freedom from official corruption, 26th in child well-being, and 23rd in wage distribution.

Want to know what we lead the world in? Number of adults that are incarcerated per capita, defense spending, people who believe in angels, the wealth gap between the rich and the middle class, wine consumption, plastic surgeons, and Olympic gold medals for women's figure skating.

While every country has its issues, my biggest problem with America is that far too many Americans see its cultural flaws, the things that make other countries hate us, and people from other countries see Americans in general as stupid, that those are actually good things! Take, for example, when France denounced the Iraq War, a war we were lied into by President Bush, Dick Cheney, and Colin Powell, instantly restaurants started serving "Freedom Fries" because how dare those French people question us in invading a country that wasn't a threat to us?

To be fair, I've always thought that it's foolish to be proud of whatever country you're from just for the simple fact that you were born there. Unfortunately, and obviously, I can't change the fact that I was born in the United States. I'll probably always have an American accent, however I do get a choice in where I live and what, if any, ties I'll have to the United States. Right now, more Americans are moving abroad than at any time in American history; even more than when the draft dodgers were fleeing to Canada in the 1960's. Also right now, more Americans than ever are renouncing their citizenship. This is one of the reasons why the US Treasury keeps what's colloquially known as the "Name and Shame List," the "Quarterly Publication of Individuals, Who Have Chosen To Expatriate" that lists the name and nationality of all those who renounced their citizenship. I'm not a tax dodger, I'm just someone who wants to start a new life.

#146 AwesomGaytheist, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  7. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I think it can, I'm hesitant to say anything gracious about the Soviet Union but I think theirs was the most major of all the roles. The death toll from the soldiers they threw at Germany was just horrendous - no other nation would have been able to supply that sort of manpower.

But a discussion on WW2 really needs its own thread there are so many variables :rolle:

#147 gazwkd, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  8. Joelouis

Yes, I agree regarding the man power and doggedness of the Soviets.
    I think I should have said that every allied nation had its fair share of sacrifices.
    Or something along those lines.

9. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Totally agree with this, and I hope to add to it, but fear any extra details would render your statement unclear and less powerful. You succinctly describe several things I intend to write. If I did, I might as well write an essay, but my thoughts are a bit disorganized.
    I will say, that hating America may be more base on the premise that it's a world power and thus it's a presence that appears arrogant and tyrannical when its flaws are pointed out in the media. These flaws clash in stark contrast with mention of "ideals, individualism, value and honor", a history of progress for the common good.
    These concepts more or less apply to all capitalist and individual societies. It seems American is hated because it's the "popular jock or mean girl" of the world. It appears ideal and perfect, but in reality bullies the world, a tragic defect.....:confused: Hope this makes sense.

10. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I just remembered this! I'm not sure if it was posted already:

[YOUTUBE]16K6m3Ua2nw[/YOUTUBE]

11. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't hate America. It's just not a place where I like living. My plan is to move to a European country and hopefully get citizenship there. There are certainly pros and cons to most places... but the US isn't a good fit for me, and I'm not a good fit for the US.

12. Manitoban

Well being Canadian I have to default "hate" the States. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Being serious the US is pretty much alright. I only start having concerns when I start looking at some of the Southern States.(See Texas, Alabama, Georgia etc...) Your politicians also often surprise me. Few politicians up in the great white north, save Alberta maybe, will so openly talk about how God is great etc.. (not saying it is bad necessarily, just different from here). Even the fact that our largest province, Ontario, has a Lesbian premier is not something that was even discussed in the elections.(Which is awesome, but again different)It wasn't until just after the election that it was realized she was the first first minister in the Commonwealth (See: Former British Empire) to be openly Lesbian.

That being said Canada isn't a shining beacon of progressiveness. Our Federal conservative government is rather reactionary(though they would never bring up things like gay marriage or abortion, they would lose in an instant) but still they don't put much funding into things like health-care or out public broadcaster.

13. Rainbows~Exist

I want to MOVE to America... try living in the UK. It's pretty dire :/

14. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't hate America, but i do hate the fact that people seem to forget that "America" is not a country. There are many countries in America.

About the US, it seems a really nice place to live.

15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be pretty unhappy if I had to live in Wales as well.

16. Rainbows~Exist

You have no idea >.> It's all wet and windy and gayless (is that a word?) and miserable :frowning2:

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't hate America no however I don't love the state I live in. Gay marriage is legal but its so hot!

18. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Dunno, I've met an amazing amount of gay Welshmen. I've been with one for 6 years and the Cardiff scene is alright :slight_smile:

19. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've lived in America all of my life and I dislike it. Our society, culture, educational system, and politics, have been flushed down the toilet. It sad. Did you know that there are kids who don't even know what fruit and veggies are?! Our education system is a pathetic joke! The police brutality in this country is extremely frightening. There are so many things that need to get reformed.

20. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't hate America. I wanted serve my country at one point... by joining the military. But I wimped out at the last second. I love my county, however I dislike certain people the make it seem like America sucks.