1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else hate America?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tommycee, Jan 8, 2015.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your american, go live in another country on another continent for an extended period of time, then ask yourself the same question. The positive virtues of America become all too apparent.

2. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think I've come to hate countries. Hate is a very strong word. I admire America for what it is. It is certainly better than some countries. I don't have much to gripe about except that your politics can be mildly amusing. It's like a joke.. like seriously, Trump?

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ironically, I came to have a lesser view on the US after traveling.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did not say traveling, I said living. A very big difference! Traveling gives you a snapshot of post card pictures in each place you visit, all geared towards the tourist or brief visit.

Living lets you immerse yourself in another culture, living by the rules, regulations, economics, social landscape of said country. And when you get immersed, thats when you see the real differences.

5. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you mean the continent, America is a very nice place. I love it.

If you mean the USA, America is a very nice place. I love it.

6. IDont Say Aboot

I don't think that I hate America, bit I hate their politics and trump. Trump is a racist sexist turdmuffin.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not denying being privileged to live here, but there are plenty of folk who move elsewhere for a number of reasons, too. Most Americans are totally unaware of the world outside the US, and it can seem like blasphemy to go against the grain of patriotism, at times.

There are plenty of downsides: religious fundamentalism, gun culture, corporatism. It must seem like a loony bin for folks across the ocean(s). I feel too connected to the land to move elsewhere permanently. :icon_redf

8. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have some problems with politics currently (I'm not a huge fan of Obama) but overall I think it's a good country.

9. Bibliovian

This was a really interesting threat to read for me. Typically in the States we hear about how all other countries detest us, so to read this and see that it's mostly US residents who are really passionately anti-US is interesting to me. Also that many people from outside the US are posting positive sentiments.

However, to continue this trend, I think a lot of us have some US guilt. A country initiated through genocide, built up through slavery, now sustained through unfair global trading economies (that sometimes also includes slavery) and a seeming insurmountable divide between the haves and have-nots within the country. We have a ways to go. It's a great place to live, but not an ethical place by any means.

Also. Donald Trump exists. And has growing support. o.0

10. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As an American living abroad, yes, people poke fun at the religious fundamentalism, gun culture and emphasis on capitalism. But I meet more people today whom see the benefits from freedom of expression, ability to succeed without inherent limitations and American's overall positive can-do attitude outweigh the perceived negatives.

11. lemons123

Nobody cares about America as of 2016 - China owns die Future :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, jk :wink:.

12. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This. Just all of this.

Anyway... thankfully I'm not American.

13. thepandaboss

Kind of hard for me to hate the country I've set up shop in, no? But i will say that I don't exactly admire large swaths of the country (the south). I have friends in the south, Midwest but I'd never live there. I used to live in Florida when I was a kid (was born in Oregon though) and believe me, even the most liberal parts of Florida are still light years behind the NW. I want to live in a place where I can walk down the street, no matter who my partner is, without having to worry about being fucked with.

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I could leave the country, I would...but people forget that gaining citizenship in other countries is expensive and time consuming. If I had it my way, I'd like to relocate to Canada or Iceland; assuming the language barrier wouldn't be an issue since I can't even say I know broken Icelandic.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^I'd move to Iceland not because I hate America (quite the contrary; it just needs tough love) but because our neighbor in the north Atlantic seems wonderful. :love:

16. sunshine360

sunshine360 Guest

I don't hate America at all, but I'm not really patriotic either. While I do think our country is a great country, it definitely has its issues.

I'm also not a fan of how politics and religion operate here. I do agree with religious freedom to an extent, but not as a way to get away with crime.

17. YaSabesQuien

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love it.
    My family left everything behind to come here and I'm truly thankful for that.
    God bless the USA.

#237 YaSabesQuien, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  18. AmyBee

I love the idea of it and the ideals it supposedly stands for. The US or America we learned about in school that's such a free country full of happy, industrious, free people of many cultures who are all happy living together and making the most of the opportunities offered by a society that recognizes and guarantees human rights. I hate all the ways we actually violate all of that and the ideals we say we stand for and the things we tell ourselves all those people died for in all our wars. But I love my country despite all its flaws and hypocrisies. I love it for what it says it wants to be and what it could be.

#238 AmyBee, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  19. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This

20. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmmm well it has it's issues, and I am probably more suited for another country politically speaking, but I also do appreciate living here.

I don't plan to leave since my fiance and I have family here and we already live too far from my family in California... I miss them in the middle of nowhere, but at least I'm still in the same country as them. I don't have enough money to travel out of the country all the time, or even once right now. If we did live out of the country, it'd only be Canada.

My main issue here is the lack of universal healthcare and other problems surrounding that. I've seen how the health care system screws people up so badly, leaving many bankrupt in order to survive, and I'm afraid of that someday happening to me.