1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else dislike hugs?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because for the most part, I do. I don't mind when my family hug me (unless I'm in a bad mood). But when it comes to friends- I just find hugs to be really uncomfortable and I have a friend who likes to hug me tightly because they know I hate it and they want to see me squirm because they find it funny.

I definitely like my space, a tight hug can make me feel almost claustrophobic (and, according to my friend it makes me look very disturbed). It's weird though, because I much prefer hugging myself because then the hug is definitely on my terms. Not too tight, it doesn't linger too long...it's nice. Unfortunately friends aren't always so understanding, and I've been called a hypocrite before since I tend to hug myself yet I generally don't tend to like hugs.

Also, when I mention claustrophobia that's usually an incentive for people to trap me in small spaces and watch me freak out whilst I try to keep my cool. *sigh* I can laugh about it later, but when I'm actually in that place it's horrible.

Personal space for me has always been an issue. I remember when I was younger and I got in a fight with this kid because he got too close to my face and it freaked me out as a child. He was just trying to annoy me/ be friendly (still not sure what that kid wanted, the memory is blurry and I wasn't thinking properly that day), but I wasn't very good at reading body language back then and I was worried that he was gonna hurt me (I wasn't very trusting of people) so I retaliated in panic and I've regretted my actions ever since. Claustrophobia is one of those things where as soon as people realise it's an issue for you, they tend to use it against you for laughs. Well, in my experience anyway.

So...how about you? What are your thoughts on personal space? Do you dislike hugs? For me, they can be comforting...but at times they tend to be suffocating and make me feel caged in. :frowning2:

#1 Canterpiece, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, same. I'm okay with it from a SO, but I don't like touching my friends at all.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    General contact and even people feting too close (like in a crowded area) can make me uncomfortable. I awkwardly put up with things like hugs, but don't initiate them or enjoy them.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love hugs! I give all my loved ones multiple hugs a day. :blush:

5. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have always had an issue with uninvited physical touching. In fact, when I got together with Gideon, it took me a while (a few months? possibly longer) to respond to it instead of either avoiding and/or ignoring it. Hugs are included in this.

This includes physical contact from my parents.

The only exception to this is my twin sister, perhaps because we shared so much of the same space growing up and are so close. In Gideon's case, he has helped me become more accustomed to touches from him, but it does not seem to have changed my feelings about it from others.

#5 Twist, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  6. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Other than a quick peckish kiss I do not enjoy public displays of affection and I don't mean just between gay people I mean by anyone.
    It's creepy and screams ATTENTION WHORE

7. Gideon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think someone just called me a whore

*Chuckles*

I tend to make people feel "safe" without even trying to, so I probably get casual touches more than most. I also get more life stories than most offered up with very little, if any encouragement.

And I'm a greedy SOB, so grabbing for Twist is just a natural reaction for me. Getting me to stop? Yeah not going to happen, so luckily he doesn't seem to mind it much.

8. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not whore, man. Attention whore. Which.... to be fair, you are. Not in that you want attention from everyone else, but you definitely demand it from me. AND.... well, you also have to admit you also like to show off that you have something you consider to be precious and special.

Note that I am not complaining. *Smirk*

9. Gideon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do I need anyone else's attention when I have yours? *Grins*

And I can't really argue any of your points here. I love showing you off...I'm damn proud of what's mine

10. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I love hugs, as long as they're from loved ones, a significant other, and good friends. There are certain times when I need my space and when I don't want to be touched at all, and certain types of physical interactions make me feel really uncomfortable. However, I generally like hugs from loved ones, especially if they're squeezes haha..I like the feeling of pressure. Sometimes I just need a good hug to feel better. :hugging:

11. newts

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the idea of hugs, but I'm usually uncomfortable when someone actually tries to hug me. I guess it makes me feel awkward, and also I'm generally uncomfortable with people touching me.

12. GreyAuburn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate, though I rarely get people trying to hug me, since I come off as someone that gets into fights easily. Which I do, with my siblings, all of the time still.

13. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My response was worth reading the conversation between you two about it!

14. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't stand being touched in any way, and taking the abuse from my family into the equation, I won't let anyone that close to me except my wife.

Also if it breathes I refuse to even consider trusting it. I've been duped and betrayed by everyone I have ever met so far, so I'm not stupid enough to trust.

15. Umberson379

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean alot of people have shafted me over in the past causing me to be less open and trusting but after 1 in a half years of not getting a genuine hug from anyone i could really use one right now. Some times it feels good to be touched but you see its who you let touch you that matters.

16. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m glad it’s not just me that feels weird when people hug you! I always thought it was a trust thing and not wanting to let anyone in added to the fact that my parents never showing any kind of affection towards us growing up as that was how they were brought up. I am getting better though.

17. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, hate it from everybody. Scared even just thinking about it. Even though I would love to hug my best friend, who I would love to date - I just can't.

18. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hugs, like everything else for me, are just an interesting topic! I like my own space from time to time and don't tend to like people giving me hugs except for my SO.

I've always been a bit shy so sometimes I worry about hugs even when they are expected. My main worry is how it will come across and if it's awkward because I'm not used to giving them anyway.

But generally I like hugs. I always find that it's a nice way to break the ice and reconnect with friends and I like hugs from family.

19. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel awkward when it's people I don't know very well or when we haven't spoken to each other in a long time…otherwise I'm okay with it.

20. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like man hugs. I don't like hugging women because I don't like it when their boobs press against me.