1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody else find themselves always questioning their sexuality after coming out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a habit of doing so whenever I come out to someone, however these moments of questioning often don't last very long and I go through the realisation that I'm gay again. It's a sort of "but what if you're wrong and you have to come out again as something else?" kind of thought, but then I think about my attractions and think that currently it's silly to worry about such things because there's been no change, but regardless I always go through this whenever I come out.

Anyone else tend to have similar thoughts/ go through this when they come out to people?

(Sorry about the double post, my bad).

#1 Canterpiece, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  2. usatanhani87

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Every single day. In my case I have OCD and it's hard when society thinks bisexuality isn't real and I've never met an openly bisexual man.

3. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I question myself sometimes. I spent a little time questioning it last night. But I tend to question every claim I make about myself. Such as: Is engineering really what I want to study? Is it possible that there is actually a God? What direction do Ireally want to take with my life? It's just one of those things. I just question myself to be sure I'm still sure.

#3 Assassin'sKat, Jun 7, 2017
  4. swimmingfly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    omg same!!!

5. Laughsalot

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely!

6. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I have the problem of never believing myself, whenever something becomes reality that is true i immediately start doubting it and feel like im lying. when its actually true, theres every evidence it is, and no evidence it isnt.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Pansexual might better describe me, but I prefer to stick with bisexual for personal reasons. I've had others suggest being somewhere on the ace spectrum, but I'm too much of a horn dog for that.

8. poltergirl

I'm barely even OUT and I stress over what would happen if I changed sexuality later in life, I think it's normal for some people

9. deepwaters7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I know what you mean. Happens all the time

#9 deepwaters7, Jun 7, 2017
  10. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Fuck yes. However, it always results in me having an epiphany about my identity. This has happened to me numerous times. I always end regretting coming out and debate over whether I should tell someone or not. It's really annoying. I've decided that it's for the very best if for now on, I go by vague yet versatile terms and I stop making such a big deal about telling other people. Hence, my stats: sexual and non-binary.

#10 PlantSoul, Jun 7, 2017
  11. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I delayed coming out for a while because I was questioning and didn't want to be wrong. Questioning my sexuality consumed too much of my thoughts in my 8th grade year. I originally came out as gay but then I re-came out as bi but then I still question every once in a while. I think it's normal. I feel that focusing on trying to find the perfect label made my sexuality unnecessarily difficult to understand. Now I think of my sexual experiences as my sexual orientation. When someone asks, sometimes say I'm pan. If I don't think they will know what that means, then I say I'm bi. If they don't ask, I let people assume that I'm gay (because I look gay), or that I'm straight if I'm with my boyfriend. The cool thing about being at a college where people aren't at all homophobic is that coming out with some specific label doesn't matter to me anymore.

12. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I question my sexuality every day. I guess I'll never know for certain.

13. Justinian20

I sometimes do question myself but its never what if I'm actually straight, its more what if my sexuality is super fluid, or what if I'm actually Bisexual.

14. Wasg

My cousin came out as gay and then like 4 years later came out again as bisexual. Like 10 years later, I come out as gay and my parents keep asking me if I like girls thinking that I am going to follow in his footsteps. Personally, I am pretty sure in my sexuality, but I have started to question that due to my parents questioning me.

I guess in the end questioning your sexuality only helps you reaffirm and strengthen what you identify as.

15. Senpai25

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have felt that way for some time. I had passively identified as a woman to myself for a long time. It wasn't until later on that I came to realize that what was feeling equated to being transgender. Once that happened, I had a gut feeling that identifying a transwoman was the right way to go.

It felt very strange for awhile, but I realized that having female gender pronouns being used to describe me would really fit me well. The doubt that I felt is dropping off now, but I can vividly remember it. I still identify as a trans and am quite pleased with the results.

Personally, I feel that it all depends on individual cases and what is best for everyone. I have come to feel that self-doubt and reaffirmation of our identities is a natural process.

#15 Senpai25, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2017
  16. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly right, but we do exist and are not all 50-50 bi! We don't all have orgies, and despite the steretype, we don't all have AIDS.

17. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not out, but I also find myself questioning if I'm actually gay or bi...
    The only reason why I'm not out yet regarding my orientation is, I don't feel a need to since I'm not in a relationship. Until I'm in a relationship, I'd come out since I wouldn't want to keep it a secret and I'd have "proof" that I am gay.

18. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

Yup yep yipperzz. I've only come out to one person, but, when i did come out, i immediately was like "I shouldn't have told them, what if i'm wrong about it?" and i still think that same thing whenever me and that person even mention my gender/sexuality. Heck, sometimes me doubting myself doesn't even involve another human being, i just think i'm "lying" constantly despite there being only evidence supporting my judgments. Weird shit it is, but it's just my personality i guess.

#18 Bobsleigh1, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
  19. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, same!! Mostly rooted in the fact that i have trouble trusting in the validity of my own opinions and experiences of, well, everything. Years of my mother doing what i only found out as an adult has a term - gaslighting. Doing something and then insisting up and down that nope that never happened you're crazy. Usually it only lasts for a short while, because usually i'm able to reaffirm to myself that yes i only like girls and that my sexual orientation is perfectly valid despite me not realizing it till like 22/23 or even coming to terms with it until this year at 25.

#19 AlexJames, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017