1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxious about camp, Scared to go. Help?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Blaine1999, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Blaine1999

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi guys

So Im in yr 12 I have achieved nothing in my whole life so I decided to get more involved in extra curricular's this year (mainly volunteering) and I volunteered for this program called CARA camp so I go with a bunch of other people to the the bottom of Mount Remarkable for 4 days and help out and engage and interact and look after kids with disabilities (mental and physical) who wouldn't be able to go on a 'normal' camp and do activities, however Im very anxious about it and I keep worrying about not being able to sleep, there being spiders (I have panic attacks and have OCDish tendencies and obsessions about spiders, Im not allowed to take bug spray to camp and I sleep with a can of bug spray so i don't know what ill do) Im worried something will happen to one of the kids and its my fault, Im extremely health anxious (i'm never not health anxious) and im worried ill get sick or something will go wrong and ill die or the ambulance wont make it in time (it will take at least 20 min) or something similar, im also worried about the bus trip because its long and i get travel sick and i'm really scared and don't want to go but I fell bad for backing out. Also the next bit may be TMI - i have issues with my bowels and digestive system so I elevate my legs on a stool when I do a bowel movement but I cant take a stool with me so Im worried about that. I also have so much homework and so many assignments to do that i'll probably die and Im worried I wont get them done if I go on camp.

I wanted to go it seemed like a good idea but now i'm really unsure, if I go im worried and stressed the whole time, but if I dont i feel like im disappointing everyone and that i'll regret not going. I have 2 days to decide, what do I do?

2. Really

Hey Blaine1999,

Good for you for signing up for this. Here are my thoughts about your concerns.

First off, you will not be responsible for the participants. I mean, of course, your not going to let them get into danger but there will be adults there who are ultimately responsible for health and safety. There's no way this camp operates without trained professionals. You'll be there as a buddy to these kids. Don't let this worry you.

Further to this point, your own health and safety will be ensured by these same adults. Try just to have fun and not worry about what ifs.

You'll be packing a knapsack/rucksack type of bag, I'm guessing? Could you just use it to prop your feet up when you need to? Maybe use an empty shoebox inside it with your extra socks or something to add some structure? And as for the bug spray issue, I would take a water bottle. While it's not exactly the same, you'll have the shape and if you had to, you could squirt the water because I don't think insects like water usually.

Did you sign up for this program through school? I'll bet if you did fall behind with your assignments, they'd give you some leeway. You don't actually sound like someone who would need extra time normally so I can't imagine your teachers wouldn't be flexible this time.

I think you should go. I'll bet it will make you feel great. And then you can report back how it was. :slight_smile:

wickedwitch likes this.
  3. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi Blaine1999:

First things first: stop sleeping with bug spray! Bug spray is toxic. The water bottle is a great idea...you could sleep with a water pistol too! :slight_smile:

I also think you should go and Really has outlined some good ideas for coping. I'm betting that you could brainstorm some other ones too and that is the key to facing your fears - finding a way to cope. Another idea for coping is to pay attention to what someone else needs and help them get it - it helps to take you out of your head a bit.

I think you're going to have a great time; please let us know how it went!

Hugs.

:slight_smile: