1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another day, another therapist

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BMC77, Jul 28, 2018.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Recently, my therapist cracked after having had to deal with me for nearly two years. He was last seen crossing the Canadian border at 190 MPH. LOL

(Actually, the real story is more mundane: he decided to retire.)

So I had the "fun" of finding a new therapist. I suppose in some ways it was easier than it was last time. I had experience with shopping and selecting a therapist. I knew more from past experience. But it still was not easy, given the realities of my situation, particularly the financial end. There are not many therapists out there willing to work with people like me on Apple Health (Medicaid), which probably isn't the best paying insurance. One probably does not get a Lexus by having a bunch of Apple Health clients.

Fortunately, I managed to find someone. It's too early to say how well this therapist will work--I've seen her once--but I've been impressed with everything I've seen to this point.

And so now I'm faced with, once again, coming out to my therapist.

Although, oddly, I feel strangely uncomfortable with the idea of coming out. Oddly, it feels harder than it was two years ago. If I recall right, my last therapist knew before the end of a trial phone conversation. When he had to be out of the office due to an emergency, I saw someone else one time, and I know I came out to her before the end of our hour.

I keep wondering why I'm more uncomfortable now than I was two years ago. Is it partly that the US is likely to go backwards when it comes to LGBT issues, thanks to the Republicans & Trump? It does somehow seem safer to hide out in my closet...

Then, too, I seem to recall that I was a lot more accepting of sexuality then. For at least the last year, I've had trouble accepting sexuality, which is something I've discussed here before. At the moment, the idea of sex frankly repels me. This, I suppose, is probably an indication of "something psychologically wrong" to be discussed with my new therapist...

Past all this, there is a feeling of what difference does it make? I feel at the moment like sexual orientation, not to mention problems with accepting sexuality, are about the least of my problems. Let's be honest: as things stand now, I'll likely go to my grave a virgin, and that won't be just because of problems accepting sexuality. It will also be influenced by other issues in my life. My poor cash flow situation is not a selling point in the dating market. Whatever problem I have that makes it next to impossible to make even friends also doesn't help, either.

I guess I'm taking an attitude right now that I won't make coming out a priority. If it seems to come up naturally, so be it, but I won't force the issue. We'll see what happens...

2. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can relate to the therapist situation. I have been grappling over my sexuality for quite awhile but was afraid of what might come to surface. I was seeing only female therapist because I was afraid to have a male counselor because of either trust issues on my part due to a bad experience I had with a male physician when I was 21 or the feeling of being judged.
    Truth of the matter is I really don’t know what I am. I am a male by birth but if I am going to be honest with myself I have always had strong femme undercurrents yet I am attracted to females. I have only had intercourse with females but my first actual experience was with my best friend when we were kids and I was what I believe was molested by a male physician at 21.
    However after I got divorced I started having questionable feelings and sought counseling. My therapist at that time thought I was feeling the need to be validated and if such attention was being given to me by men then it spiked such feelings.
    The male counselor said the same thing essentially but that hasn’t curbed the intrusive thoughts feelings or fantasies...so you’re not alone; hope this was some help

3. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have seen many therapists in my life (most of whom I have fired ... lol) and I remember the first time I came out to a therapist I really liked and who had seen my ex-wife and me briefly while we were going through our divorce. I was really nervous telling her, especially since she knew my wife (although not really well) and just assumed I was a straight guy. Since then I've burned through several more therapists and have come out to each of them, so to speak, but it's not something that is a big topic of conversation since I know the lay of the land in Gay World and I'm not sure what new insights there are to be gained ... and I have other more pressing issues that I think are a better focus of our time. I recently started seeing a new psychologist whom I like and don't want to fire ... I've decided to try to accept the limitations of psychotherapy and not get my expectations up very much, which seems to be working for the moment. If have referenced being gay and "confused" about my sexuality and whether I really fit in with gay men a few times, and each time it's not a big deal ... kind of a small bump in the road. So I think it gets easier each time you tell a new therapist ... also you might want to consider not thinking of it as the key, defining fact about yourself, but rather as one of many things about you that you want to talk about. Hope that helps!

4. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks I appreciate
    thanks I appreciate the support and in the grand scheme of this whatever may be my situation is a small microcosm. It’s who were are as people that defines us more then who were are or are not attracted to....

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obviously, it has to be the decision of the individual who to come out to, and when, but in the case of a therapist I'd try to get the cards on the table almost immediately, if you can. Our sexual orientation can have a bearing on so many other parts of the emotional conundrum and withholding this information can become a real hindrance to the client/therapist relationship and any progress you might make.

A therapist is there to listen with empathy, regard for the client and without judgement, so there should be no easier person to come out to. I know that sounds good in theory, but can be harder in practice, but even if I had to write it down rather than speaking the words, I'd try to get it out of the way. I really think it's that important.

smurf, BMC77 and Tightrope like this.
  6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My current therapist knows of my sordid and varied experiences. I told him about it within 4 sessions. He didn't seem to care one way or the other. We are working on various things.

When I had to change therapists, my last therapist told me that the experienced and professional therapist should know how to deal with sexual, relationship, and intimacy issues. It's a big part of what they do. Unless they're in a specialty area, they definitely need to able to work with clients on these issues.

I'm really glad that you finally did the legwork and got on board with therapy. Don't worry about the dating market and cash flow as much as sorting things out. You've put this off for a while, if I recall, and you finally got there. I'm sure that, overall, it must feel better for you. Do you already have that new therapist? What sort of things do you look for in a therapist when you have searched, keeping the financial set up aside? Finding the right therapist is often the hardest part.

BMC77 likes this.
  7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't remember all the delays (well, I probably could remember with some thought...but it doesn't seem worth it). But yes, there were lots of delays. Some procrastination, too. A huge issue was just the financial end of it. I eventually ended up with a practice that was low income friendly in 2016, and was with the same therapist there until he retired in May of this year.

Yes. The first session was towards the end of July, a day or so before I started this thread.

Unfortunately, it seems like the practical stuff is the major things I look for... Things like:
    • Financial coverage.
    • I don't have a car, so I need to consider what works with the bus service.
    • Availability. (I'd thought of staying with the previous practice--but all the other therapists were booked solid, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future).
    I do, however, filter out obviously bad choices. When I shopped for a therapist in 2016, I had a horrible time dealing with one potential therapist. He got downright cranky by e-mail. He couldn't or wouldn't answer basic questions (like if my insurance would cover 100% of the cost). And he wanted me to download and print something like 30 pages of intake paperwork. (When told I didn't have a printer, he told me to go and print at the library--which would cost $5--or have him do the printing for $10.) After his last e-mail, which was downright crabby sounding, I decided to start my shopping process again. I noticed this therapist is still around, but I didn't even give him a minute's consideration this time around.

I also check with the DOH to see if there is any disciplinary action against a therapist.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good point. Although...it's hard not worrying about cash flow, and that's entirely on practical "it would be nice to survive" grounds...

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I got lucky on this go round. I agonized over reading backgrounds and reviews on quite a few therapists. I then chose one to start therapy with. At first, it was a little rocky. I wrote about that on the forum. Now, I feel that it's going well. This individual did not meet all of my criteria, but he met most of them.

I had one horrendous therapist. I was at such a low point that I kept him. The stuff he said and did was the stuff that should have been reported to some sort of board. I also had an EAP one for 7 sessions who was a jerk.

10. smurf

Shopping for a therapist is so incredibly annoying, but go you for making it a priority

Yeah, I would have to disagree with this and it sounds like a crutch.

Sexuality defines sooo many aspects of our lives. It touches our love lives, sex lives, family lives, friends, coworkers. If you are in the closet then you will have trust issues, issues with vulnerability, some will have anxiety issues and being in the closet will trigger self-esteem issues.

You cannot work on any of that if your therapist doesn't know what the hell is triggering everything.

Sexuality doesn't define you, no. But it does impact SO much about your life. This is why coming out is so much more than just having sex with a guy.

Because of your financial decision and having to invest your money wisely, I would highly suggest that you at least ask the therapists "Are you LGBT friendly?". With that question you 1) make sure they will be safe to come out to when you are ready 2) will give a hint without you having to explain anything or go into detail about stuff.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's unfortunately too easy to stay. It's such a pain (and sometimes nightmare) shopping for a therapist that it's all too easy to decide to stay stuck.

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Fortunately, the investment is mostly time and energy. There is, of course, some financial investment in bus fares to get to and from a therapist's office, but I can do other things. My last therapist was near a grocery store, so when I was done seeing him, I went grocery shopping. One of the few advantages of Apple Health--at least the provider I'm with--is apparently there is 100% coverage of mental health services, and, apparently, no limit of total visits or time.

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Reasonable point... Not that I have ever had a love life, or a sex life. And I'm pretty socially isolated. Sigh...

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I realized I probably should have given a general update. I've had a couple of sessions, now. I haven't come out, although I haven't been doing all I can to avoid the issue. I guess it's what I said before...if it naturally gets around to that point, fine, but I'm not pushing it.

Another thing that I'll let come up naturally: the fact I have a history of zero dating/relationship. This can be interesting topic--it's so rare that it's apparently jolted every professional to date. My last therapist was noticeably jolted. A psychologist doing a screening a year ago was a bit surprised, I think. He was very good at being non-reactive...but it was clear from the follow up questions that he found my situation, at best, unusual.

As of the last session, we were going through family history. For various reasons, I think it's not a bad idea that this therapist has an idea of past family history.

Tightrope likes this.
  15. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have found it helpful to keep my expectations very low when seeing a therapist, otherwise I tend to get disappointed and angry. It's so interesting how therapists promise the moon on their websites ... they make it sound like they can turn your life around and you'll have great relationships and endless fulfillment ever after. Or they'll push the latest fad in psychotherapy such as EMDR, mindfulness, and so forth. So I always keep in mind that what happens in my life is really up to me ultimately. There are also significant prejudices and ideological biases built into the psychotherapy profession, and I tend to think that many therapists write patients off who don't readily conform to their prejudices/biases. So by all means say something to your therapist if their reaction to something you say makes you angry, upset, etc. But remember that your therapist is ultimately just a regular person trying to make a buck selling a service that is imperfect, which you are entitled to make use of to the extent it proves helpful.

16. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having moved to a new city, and finding FaceTime with my prior therapist whom I enjoyed working with too complicated after a few FaceTime sessions, I engaged with a new therapist suggested by a friend. The only thing I found burdomsom was having to rehash the last five years of my life without trying to miss anything. It took two sessions to do so and my new therapist did not seem to miss a beat (albeit he did ask me to write a bunch of my history for him to read before my first session). Fortunately, I am just as comfortable with my new therapist as my prior one, and even think I will benefit from his different perspectives on a few things.

Use your therapist as an extension of yourself. If it’s in your head, feel comfortable expressing it. That’s what they are there for. To help you organize what’s going on in your own head. The more you hold back, the harder it is for them to do their job.

Tightrope likes this.
  17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I took note of what is bold. In a way, this sort of bothers me. I find it a little judgmental on their part. I had someone say this to me in my late 20s or early 30s. There could be many reasons why people haven't dated and especially haven't been in a relationship. Friend zoning going in both directions could very well explain it, among so many other explanations. People can also be cautious and with good reason. I feel as though they're projecting. The family history part is very important. That often explains a lot. I have a new friend who, like me, came from a nuclear family but as we compare notes, the problems caused by a parent or both parents have been of some magnitude in both of our lives.

This is a very good way to look at therapy.

BMC - since it appears you moved from a male therapist to a female therapist, how does that feel? I know some people who insist on a therapist who is the same gender while others don't make it a criteria.

#17 Tightrope, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    BMC77 likes this.
  18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes.

Indeed, I've had this same thought: there are any number of reasons why someone might not have ever dated. (Perhaps the psychologist who did the screening a year ago should have noted my looks, and come up with one reason on his own why I'm not hugely salable in the dating market. LOL)

I agree. As I said before, I think it's not a bad idea in my case that my new therapist has some idea of basic history.

As I think of it, I'm tempted to say that family history may be more important in my situation than sexual orientation.

In my case, yes, I did move from a male to female therapist. Gender was not on my criteria list. It was limiting enough dealing with the rigid, non-negotiable criteria (e.g., insurance coverage, office reachable by bus, etc).

So far, it hasn't been any sort of big deal seeing a female therapist. Although it might be an issue if/when conversations about sexuality come up. Although, at the same time, I'm not sure how much better off I was with my previous therapist in that regard. Yes, he was a man--but he was straight. It seems like the "ideal" therapist for a gay male might be another gay male.

#18 BMC77, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  19. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope it works out well with this therapist. I knew that being closeted was a big part of my issues so I came out to both therapists I've been to at the first session. I'm surprised your orientation wouldn't come up when discussing lack of dating, unless the therapist doesn't ask questions involving gender or words them neutrally. I think I wanted to come out to them so at least I had someone to discuss it with out loud. It was somewhat helpful, perhaps gave me a short-lived confidence boost having the guts to do it. I think mine were surprised at my total lack of experience too, almost like they didn't believe me. I don't know about you, but for me that's a big regret/embarrassment which is another thing that keeps me avoiding new people so it's a piece of the puzzle I figured they should know. When no one you like is into you that knocks your confidence down further. It's such a loop of closet, low esteem, no one interested, lower esteem, no experience, embarrassed, depression, further isolated, years go by, etc etc. Again, I hope this goes well and things improve, take care!

Tightrope and BMC77 like this.
  20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks!

My last therapist knew I'm not straight long before the conversation about dating/relationships ever came up. And the psychologist screening was a 1 hour standardized screening that covered a huge territory--everything from depression screening to some cognitive tests. The relationship issue was pretty much orientation neutral in that case.

If relationship/dating history comes up with this current therapist, it would probably become clear I'm not straight, even if I didn't explicitly come out. Although, of course, a lot depends on the nature of the conversation. With that psychologist screening, sexual orientation didn't come up, because the #1 factor of why I don't see myself dating (the fact that I'm difficult to market, given cash flow/current life circumstances) is pretty much a neutral issue. I doubt either men or women would be enthusiastic about dating someone whose cash flow is like mine. Most people, I gather, like to go to a nice restaurant on their date, and then go and see the latest movie. They aren't interested in watching an old movie checked out from the library (on a very small screen), while eating a pizza obtained (after careful budgeting!) from the grocery store frozen food aisle.

I've had rounds of both regret and embarrassment. Regrets are mainly about "what could have beens" when I was young...although I also recognize that that era had issues, particularly with LGBT acceptance.

I'm sure embarrassment about lack of experience is one reason why I haven't made any effort to try dating or even have casual sex in the present era. I can imagine the conversations. "Umm, well, yes, this is my first date...even though I'm nearly half a century old!" Or: "Well, yes, this is my first time having sex. I'm not exactly sure how we proceed..."

Tightrope likes this.