1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anime and manga recommendations?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Spot, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (Please? Wasn't sure if that would fit in the title XD)

So, my girlfriend is in the Navy now and is living on the base. I got a letter from her a few days ago and she's quite depressed, she really regrets enlisting. I'm trying to write to her a lot and send her texts to try and cheer her up. She loves anime and manga, like anything Japanese basically. I don't know much about anime or manga at all, to be honest but I want to try and get into it. I just don't know where to start. I used to watch Watamote and Hetalia but I don't anymore. I have read Wandering Son but I think that's the only manga I've really read. But I want to be able to talk about something she loves with her and share in her interests because I feel like that might help? I don't know. There's not a lot I can do. I wish I could just drive down to the base and pick her up but I can't do that.

Anyway
    , I'm looking for upbeat anime or manga. Anything that's popular, like well-known or new (maybe came out late last year/early this year?). I'm probably looking for more anime than manga because I have assignments and classes I need to do so I don't have a ton of time for reading. She wanted me to read/watch Fruits Basket so I'll do that and she likes Spirited Away. Oh yeah, movies are okay too.

That's about it, I guess? I really have no idea where to start. So, any anime and/or manga recommendations? Thank you ^^

2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Soul Eater is a pretty good anime, the manga is better and way longer. But the anime is worth watching. Girls Und Panzer has been out a while and it is cute. Trigun is a riot, its been out for several years and it is my hands down favorite anime.

#2 Shorthaul, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  3. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not really an anime fan, but a few days ago I was going through the channels and an anime film cought my eyes because I've noticed it's from studio Ghibli, it's called "When Marni Was There", it was one of the most wonderful movies that I have seen in a long time, sad and very heart warming at the same time. I was actually planning to start a thread about it.

4. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    KonoSuba is one of the best comedy anime I've seen in recent years. Small group of crazy weirdos adventure in a fantasy world and often fail spectacularly. There is even a second season of this nonsense

Some more recs for you:

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K - basically schadenfreude the anime

Gintama - popular comedy, sometimes tries to be semi-serious but never quite succeeds

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - classic slice of life comedy anime

One Punch Man - seems to be popular, great action comedy, a lot of anime newbies find this show easy to get into

5. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ReLIFE is a very interesing anime. It came out in 2016 and I think a new season is going to come out soon.

You can take a look at the plot here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReLIFE

6. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Isn't it just so beautiful? I adore that film, and was listening to the song at the credits on repeat for weeks afterwards (Priscilla Ahn - Fine on the Outside). I read the book after watching it, loved that too.

Back to the issue at hand - if she liked Spirited Away then Studio Ghibli have loads of films that she may also like. My favourites include Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service. There are loads though, so have a look online for each of their summaries and see if any of them would take your girlfriend's fancy.

I have also recently watched Your Name and thought it was brilliant. Other recommendations include The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Summer Wars.

Good luck!

7. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sailor Moon is very popular with LGBTQ people because of all the queer characters. In the last season, the Sailor Starlights are literally genderfluid in that they can transform into one or the other.

8. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
  9. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

I’m halfway through Devilman Crybaby on Netflix (it’s an English dub, but a good one), and I’m pretty into it. If you like dark types of anime, go check it out! It just came out in January of this year, so there’s only one season. It’s based on an older manga series called Devilman (I think). And for an anime that's also a Netflix original, I’m pretty impressed :slight_smile: