1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Androgynous Male. What I'm Doing/What Can I Do?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by T0kumei, Feb 8, 2018.

1. T0kumei

T0kumei Guest

Hey Forum!

So I've been trying to explore a more androgynous identity as of late and I'm feeling very comfortable with it. HOWEVER, I'm not feeling *completely* comfortable with it due to a variety of reasons. The first, and most obvious, is that a lot of people aren't down with the whole androgyny thing yet. The second problem, and the one I wanted to ask you all about, is that I'm having some problems expressing my androgyny. There are sooooo many awesome tips on the web for how to dress, act, or look more androgynous, but they all seem to be geared towards females exploring a more androgynous identity. This is fine, but I could reeeaaally use a bit of help as a male.

What I Need Help With

-Masculine Features
    I have a rounded nose with a large bridge. It could pass as a male's or a female's, but only if it's surrounded by more feminine features. My jaw is also very prominent. Picture Daisy Ridley, just with a sharper jaw line. That's the shape of my head. Also I have a cleft chin, which complicates things. Can I minimize any of these?

-Clothing Woes
    I have a couple of outfits that I like, but I'm having trouble figuring out what other outfits to wear. If you have any tips on how to dress more androgynously or If you have any outfit ideas, I'd love to hear them (I've been wearing a lot of form fitting clothing if that narrows it down a bit). I'm even open to trying things like skirts or dresses, but only if you guys think it's a good idea. Keep in mind, I'm not going for a full female/cross dressing look, which is why I'm a little hesitant to go that far. The most feminine outfit I own (but haven't worn out yet) is a pair of sheer black tights under women's denim shorts paired with a black long sleeve t shirt, a wide brimmed fedora, and a scarf, which is to hide my Adam's apple. I shamelessly lifted the look off of these lovely ladies and I may modify it to look more like the third picture (of the boy).

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/4a/37/91/4a3791c06b50b59efa8d723d10b2b46f--shorts-tights-denim-shorts.jpg
    http://www.redreidinghood.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SAM_1910_kleiner.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mDtab1uYf...m4xG8Z1Zwsk/s1600/8365564584_2b3122f0c7_o.jpg

Cosmetics
    -Any tips? I haven't been wearing any makeup, but I'd be open to a minimalist look and I've been toying with the idea of subtle eyeliner. Also, should I keep my leg/arm hair? I've been leaning towards removing it, but I'm kinda hesitant. Should I go for it? I've shaved my legs once before (a long time ago), but I think I'd go for removal cream if I did it again. That also brings up the question, how do I keep the skin on my legs and arms smooth and even if I shave them? Finally,I've no Idea what to do with my eyebrows. They're thick and long, so I should be able to shave them down to most shapes, but I'm at a loss when it comes to androgynous eyebrow shapes. Where can I start with those? I feel like one of the most important things I can ask you about is hair. WHAT DO I DO? I've been growing it out for several months, but it's still not that long yet. Do I keep it mid length like this(with longer sides)?

http://www.mens-hairstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Blonde-Haircut-for-Men.jpg

Or should I keep growing it out to something like this?

http://hairstylesidea.net/wp-conten...hairstyles-to-the-side-with-veil-valuable.jpg

Should I do something else entirely?

What I'm Already Doing

-Feminine Features
    I'm already a pretty feminine looking guy. My eyes (AKA the one part of my body I actually kinda like) look like they were taken directly off of a woman's face. They're large, upturned, and have large grey irises that take up maybe 3/5 of the eye. My forehead, thank goodness, is actually fairly androgynous. It's the height of an average male's, but it's more vertical and smoothly shaped, like a female's. My body shape is also rather feminine. Has anyone played breath of the wild? If so, imagine Link's body shape, just less muscular. If not, here's a pic:

http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/10/26/59fd05b1364dd63b3bd1f058574baa0e.jpg

I'm pretty self conscious about how I look shirtless, but I feel like the shape works well with form fitting clothing on.

-Feminine Clothing
    I've been dressing in a more feminine manner recently. I haven't been wearing dresses or anything, but rather a more feminine version of what a male would typically wear. For example, one of my favorite outfits right now is a pair of form fitting black skinny jeans, and a light pink long sleeve T shirt. I actually have two of these outfits. One from the men's section, and the other from the women's. I seem to wear the men's jeans with the women's shirt more often just because I like the fit a lot more.
    I've also been wearing above the knee socks. This isn't anything most people would ever see, but it feels a lot more feminine to me, as men's socks are usually knee high at the most. I also wear thick, horn-rimmed glasses. This magnifies my eyes to look larger and covers part of the bridge of my nose. They're prescription so they have to stay. As I mentioned above, I am definitely open to going more feminine, but I'd still like to keep it androgynous. Again, the most feminine outfit I currently own consists of sheer black tights, jean shorts, a black long sleeve tee, a fedora, and a scarf (to hide the Adam's apple)

-Cosmetics I Use:
    10% benzoyl peroxide gel- works miracles when it comes to removing/preventing blemishes
    Balancing skin cream- I'd like to keep my skin tone even. I use Ambi Even & Clear, but I'm not super attached to it
    Lotion- gotta keep smooth skin. I've been trying a variety of brands, but I'm not exactly married to one yet
    Hair removal cream- I've been applying Nair (just to my face for now) to make sure there's as little hair/stubble as possible. I also don't have to shave much anymore, so my chances of getting razor burn are basically zero

Thanks to anyone who actually read through all of that and answered any of those questions. I know I'm asking a lot but I've kinda hit a dead end and I could really use some advice/tips.
    Thanks again!