1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anal sex when taking blood thinner

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by bearchaser303, May 14, 2016.

1. bearchaser303

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm 50 and just diagnosed with Atrial fibrillation (A-Fib). Cardiologist prescribed a couple of meds, one of which is Xarelto blood thinner. I'm primarily bottom, so just wondering about risk of bleeding as a result of anal sex while on this medicine. Anyone else taking Xarelto or any other blood thinner and have any advice?

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Blood thinners affect the way your body responds to bleeds, whether it be delaying the time it takes for clots to form or not allowing clots to form at all (aka Aspirin). It sounds like Xarelto is like Aspirin; prevents clots from forming.

The risk of bleeding during anal sex is low if sufficient lube is used, so make sure you're letting the top know if you need more lube or not. Ensure there's enough foreplay so that you're relaxed as well.

With that said, I would confirm with the doc so you know the risks involved with taking Xarelto (in general, not just the risks in terms of anal sex).

Cheers!

3. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd be surprised if the cardiologist knew your risks unless she's had some experience or training specific to this. I can tell you that in the acute care setting gastrointestinal bleeds are probably the most common problem we see with thinners. But, it isn't a result of anal intercourse and it's typically higher up in the tract.
    If you are going to do it just be more cautious.