1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America vs Europe

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mihael, May 16, 2018.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's important to remember that Europe is a continent of over 30 independent countries, with different languages, standards, customs and currency. Western European nations are progressive and very advanced, enjoying some of the highest living standards in the world, but nations in Eastern Europe lag well behind, with a more conservative and insular outlook and lower standards across the whole of society. There is a distinct divide and LGBT rights are ignored or suppressed in much of Eastern Europe.

To some extent the European Union brings member states closer together, but we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking the EU has the range of powers of the US government. Maybe after Brexit there will be a move towards greater integration within the EU (the British government has always been a powerful voice of resistance to this idea).

2. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just wondering... How do you Brits see us Central Europeans? Is there any opinion or is there a mindset that Europe is just Western/Eastern and nothing between? Like that what once had communism must be called Eastern, is undeveloped, lagging behind a lot, is conservarive, and I don't know what else? No offense or anything, I'm just curious if you see all the former Eastern bloc countries in the same way...