1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I too young?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wolfycub, Dec 21, 2017.

1. wolfycub

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’m 14. I came out to my parents a few weeks ago and they seemed pretty supportive. Afterwords they told not to tell anyone in case I get bullied. This made me feel awful because I wanted to be open about it. Should I take my parents advice or just take it as I want and tell who I want?

Robyn1235 likes this.
  2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no simple answer. A lot depends on how your school and friends are toward gay people. Are they welcomed and accepted? Do people make homophobic remarks? These factors play in significantly when deciding if it's safe to come out.

It is also possible your parents don't want you to come out because they are hoping "it's a phase." Well... sorry for them but, we simply don't see anyone who goes through a gay "phase", especially at your age. So I think it might be worth further conversation with your parents.

I can't tell you what to do, but I can suggest you proceed cautiously, talk more with your parents, evaluate how open people are in your environment to gay people, and make your decision from there.