1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I going too quickly?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cert, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Cert

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry to double post!
    I’m 14 and transgender, and my dysphoria has been having serious mental health impacts on my life. I’m trying, if only to poke a hole in the ceiling of this seemingly empty tunnel, to go full time at math camp this summer. I know the camp is extremely accepting as a whole, and the camp has agreed that only the administration has to know I’m not biologically female. I’m just worried I’m going too quickly. Is it too soon to try to go full time? I’m only going on Lupron now, 4 months before camp, and I don’t know if I’ll be able to be passable by summer. Does anyone have any tips or discouragement for going full time early? I don’t know if I can bare going to a residential summer camp as a man, but if people find out I’m transgender, would that be worse? I just want to be seen as a quirky but normal teenage girl like my friends are, and it’s making me anxious.
    -Cert

Verklighet likes this.
  2. Cert

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don’t mind this, it’s just a reply to get email notifications :slight_smile:

#2 Cert, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you are going about this the right way. If there is any field where gender issues are irrelevant, it would be math. (My field!) It's about the excitement of "aha!" and "I get it!" and "Well, supposing this weren't true, then what?" And it sounds like you have reached out to the camp ahead of time -- smart! Good luck being the quirky teenage girl you feel inside, I suspect you will make a lot of friends who take you for who you say you are.

Verklighet likes this.
  4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't worry about passing. Instead, make sure that the camp administration supports you if people get really shitty. One thing I was really struck by in my youth (and something I really hope is better now) was that "the smart and gifted kids" could be every bit as brutal and oppressive as the jocks.

BradThePug likes this.