1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Depressed/Have Depression?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Reviskova, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For a while i thought i may of been, but for a while things have been looking up for me and getting better in my life. Well now the thoughts are being brought up again. Yesterday my mother mentioned when we were at work that she was worried about me, and specifically that i might be depressed. When she brought it up i was sort of surprised, but i am going to mention why i think i might have it.

For one, it runs in my family. I am not sure if it is genetic (?) but it might be.

I have extreme lack of motivation, sometimes i cant even motivate myself to get out of my room to make some food, even if i might be hungry. I cant seem to motivate myself to do simple things like cleaning my room either, no matter how many times my mom reminds me to.

I often feel like i dont deserve to have my friends, and that they would be better off and happier being friends with someone else.

I put off plans with said friends because i feel like i will be disappointing/awkward around them even though i have known most of them for years.

I feel nothing most of the time, not sad, happy, angry, just kind of nothing. I can feel things dont get me wrong, but most happiness i feel is only temporary. and most other moods (anger, sadness, etc) are temporary too and after i just go back to "nothing."

I occasionally have thoughts that i will not go and am going nowhere in life. (even though i am still young)

(not that this means anything, but i score high on almost every online depression quiz. i know these are not reliable (at all), but thought i should maybe mention that.)

All of these signs seem clear that i do or might have it, but i have always been unsure. any advice would be appreciated. i am decently sure that depression has to be a sad (ish) or low mood most of the time. and most of the times i just feel sort of "nothing".

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lack of motivation, listlessness, numbness (feeling nothing), extreme sadness, feelings of guilt, and no longer finding happiness in things you used to enjoy, increased need for sleep, are among the symptoms of depression.

Sound familiar? I basically summed up what you've written, with one or two more things.

Online quizzes aren't the be all end all of diagnosing yourself with a mental illness. But they do offer at least a little bit of reassurance in that you have something to go on. They're not very accurate though, and the best would be to speak to a mental health professional, who will run some simple tests by means of a questionnaire and then diagnose you. That would be your best bet, and then they could prescribe medication to help you feel better. If you don't have insurance, I'm sure there are state hospitals who offer the service at a minimal fee, and some might even be completely free of charge, but I'm speaking under correction here, so don't take my word for it :slight_smile:

I hope that you're able to figure this out, but it's important to at least speak to your GP and get a referral if that's possible for you. In the meantime, feel free to write to us here, there's always someone willing to listen :slight_smile:

finisterre and Reviskova like this.
  3. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have thought about talking to a doctor about it, but i feel like sometimes it is not worth it since it sort of fluctuates. and i feel like someone else could need and deserve the help more than me. i dont know, i will do it eventually but its a really hard thing to talk about for me. i wouldnt even know how to bring it up.

4. smurf

No one can diagnosed you online, but you sure sound like it haha

Bad news, depression sucks. Good news, there is a way out whenever you decide you want to seek help. Talk to your mom about scheduling an appointment with a counselor. If you have insurance it should be covered. Run away from any therapist that ONLY gives you a prescription but doesn't help you with a full long-term plan of attack

Medication is fantastic for stabilizing us, but there are things we can do on top of it all to help us cope better.

You aren't making it up. Now time to go get better :slight_smile:

finisterre and Reviskova like this.
  5. finisterre

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi! I’m sorry that you are going through a difficult time and, yes, what you have described (social withdrawal, low self-esteem, a lack of motivation etc) are common symptoms of depression.

Rather than trying to self-diagnose yourself on the internet – it would be irresponsible of me to state whether you are suffering from depression - I’d urge you to seek a professional diagnosis as soon as possible.

A mental health helpline should be your first port of call if you need to receive any advice or information anonymously. The Nova Scotia Mental Health Crisis Telephone Line is open 24/7, while ConnexOntario can answer queries on mental health via email, phone and web chat. And, if you ever start thinking about suicide, you can contact Crisis Services Canada via phone, text and web chat.

Please be aware that helpline advisors are usually trained volunteers, so a mental health helpline should be regarded as an auxiliary or supplementary service and not a substitute for professional medical advice or a professional diagnosis. For instance, there is a likelihood that a helpline advisor will overlook something, on the basis that you have not been physically examined, so you need to make sure that you have covered all bases by seeing your family doctor.

Your family doctor will be able to assess your needs, rule out other causes, make a professional diagnosis, provide a course of action, monitor your progress and, if necessary, refer you to a psychiatrist or another mental health professional. I know that you are reluctant to see your family doctor, but there may be a reason other than depression why you are feeling so demotivated. Please be assured that your health is just as important as anyone else's.

You can also contact your local Mental Health Foundation and Canadian Mental Health Association offices for additional support, while Healthy Minds offer a peer-based support service (all three are based in Dartmouth). The Laing House in Halifax, meanwhile, provide a drop-in centre for teenagers and young adults (aged between 16 and 29) who have been diagnosed with an anxiety, mood and/or psychosis disorder (they also run subsidiary groups in Sackville and Yarmouth).

This article on the Canadian Mental Health Association’s website explains the various ways in which you can get help and support if you are concerned about your mental health (the following link is very informative, so I’d urge you to read it as thoroughly as possible) - https://cmha.ca/documents/getting-help

Small lifestyle changes - such as exercising regularly (ideally between 75 and 150 minutes per week) and drinking/eating healthily - can also have a positive effect on your mental health. These articles provide helpful information on how exercise and food can improve your emotional wellbeing: https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/publications/how-to-using-exercise & https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/tips-for-everyday-living/food-and-mood

You may also find this Forbes article on the subtle symptoms of depression useful: https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2015/02/17/the-subtle-symptoms-of-depression

And, likewise, this Psychology Today article on the dangers of self-diagnosis is worth reading: https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/debunking-myths-the-mind/201005/the-dangers-self-diagnosis

I wish you all the very best, and I hope that this helps you go forward in a way that feels right for you.

#5 finisterre, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Reviskova and Ruby Dragon like this.
  6. Reviskova

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i will not self diagnose myself but i think you all are right, i should definitely see a professional about it. i will try and bring the topic up with my mother and hopefully we will get something set up soon. i think it is going to be a long and anxious journey, but i think it is going to be the right thing for me. i am kinda nervous just thinking about it. i know there is little stigma around mental illness especially with professionals, but i always think about how i might be judged. since it has been sort of controlling my life, i definitely think i should get some help for it. luckily i have a family doctor.

Thank you for the replies and the kind words everyone. :slight_smile:

finisterre and Ruby Dragon like this.
  7. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like the others, I’m not qualified to diagnose your condition, but having severe depression myself and having been around others like me in therapy, I can say with confidence you are expressing some classics signs of depression. I’m not sure what if anything you plan to do to address the situation, you seem to be on the fence about seeking outside help, and I totally understand that. When you are feeling this way it is hard to see how it can help. But perhaps because I ignored my depression myself, I let it get so bad that I was forced to seek help in the end and it was then that I realized there was no way I could have learned to manage it on my own. I do think you should reconsider some of you concerns about seeking help. First of all, what you have is NOT a mental illness. There are good reasons you are the way you are and none of this isn’t about “fixing” you. What you have is a coping problem and wahat therapy does is show you ways to manage it. Second, the journey toward getting better is not an anxious one. On the contrary, the anxiety is in doing nothing about it. But you are right about it being a long journey. It is a journey of a lifetime. It’s been 30 years since my attempted suicide and I’m still monitoring my depression. Just yesterday while brushing my teeth I felt a wave pass over me and paused to ask myself if I needed to take action (they will train you to recognize the need for action and what to do in your therapy). It sounds tough and it is tough but it is also very worthwhile. The journey is a positive one. As a young person, I never dreamed I could have the wonderful life I have today and as strange as it sounds, in no small part I owe my depression for it. Or, I should say, I owe the journey my depression put me on for it. So, don’t wast any more time, go ahead and seek help now and don’t be discouraged if you have a few setbacks along the way. It seems to go with the territory. Good luck, I wish you well!

Reviskova likes this.