1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Chloe04, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Chloe04

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m depressed. I’m paranoid. I have severe gender dysphoria. I self-harm regularly. Nobody knows.

I hate how good I am at keeping my mental health hidden from my family. Whenever I’m in a really low point in my depression and don’t have the energy to keep it hidden, my parents just dismiss it as me being “grumpy” or “in a mood”. Sometimes they’ll yell at me if I don’t just cheer up on the spot. They think I’ve got nothing to be sad about. They sounds so ignorant and selfish, but really I know I’m the one who’s being selfish.
    I want to tell them I’m depressed, but I can’t because I’m not ready to come out as trans. Sometimes it feels like I’m screaming for help inside a soundproof box. I want somebody to ask if I’m depressed, I want somebody to notice my scars because I’m too much of a coward to say it myself.

Am I being unreasonable? I want to tell them about my mental health but I just CANT. Am I being unreasonable for hating that they don’t notice?

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, yeah kind of. People can't read minds. If you want them to know you're depressed then tell them you're depressed. People will always assume it's a minor temporary thing like that unless told otherwise.

What you're saying here is basically the equivalent of being sick but being mad that people are saying it's a cold instead of cancer. Why would anyone ever guess cancer? They're going to go with the more normal explanation of a cold, like they're going with the more normal explanation of being grumpy instead of having depression.

3. whistle1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I must agree with the first commenter. Even though you expect everyone (especially your parents) to know what's wrong with you, there is no possible way they could.

I don't know how old you are. If you are in school, is there a counselor you could see there? Do you have any friends with whom you could discuss this? Sometimes, simply getting things off your chest can help - without you necessarily having to come out as trans right now.

The bottom line is this - unless you discuss this with someone, you will suffer in silence. Good luck.

Destin likes this.