1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I anemic?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Spot, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been eating less meat lately. I completely cut any, well...pig meat(?) out of my diet months ago. That is, pork, bacon and ham as well as stuff like hotdogs, chorizo, pepperoni, salami, etc. That's for personal reasons. I have trouble eating meat because I'm really soft-hearted :disappointed_relieved: I don't eat pigs because I had to slice open and dissect a piglet, it was one of the worst things I've been forced to do and I seriously cried for hours afterward (obviously not consecutively, that'd be weird). And I really don't like eating any cow products because I love cows so I try to avoid them as well, I only eat it if there's no other options. I don't think I've eaten beef for two weeks? I don't eat veal or lamb, for that matter. I do sometimes eat chicken if I think I can stomach it and I eat fish okay. I say all this because I think I've given myself anemia and I knew the risks, that I should've been replacing my sources of iron but honestly, I didn't think it would really happen to me so I didn't bother :expressionless:

I've just been really tired recently. And I mean, I'm going to bed earlier then sleeping in and I still wake up tired. I can even take naps which I never do and I can literally feel like feeling asleep while standing. I've just been thinking about sleep constantly. I want to sleep right now and it's only 11:30PM, usually I can stay up past 1AM. I have been getting small unexplained bruises and lots of headaches. I mean, I do sometimes get headaches but they've been a lot more frequent. Along with the bruises, I think I've also just been more sensitive than usual? I accidentally cut my thumb on a can the other day (never happens) and it bled quite a bit for such a small cut. I also went to the dentist and usually, they might accidentally scratch my gum and it'll bleed a bit when they're cleaning my teeth with that weird hook instrument but this time, I got cut so many times and there was a lot of blood. And this one's a little gross because it's more descriptive but I got my period like three days ago I think and the bleeding is much more frequent but lighter in color? Like the blood is kind of diluted. Sorry. I'm also very, very pale in the face with dark circles under my eyes.

I'm not keen on getting a blood test because needles are one of my biggest phobias, if not my biggest phobia so that's why I wanted to just ask. I don't think you need an official diagnosis of anemia anyway. That's what it most likely is, isn't it? Not anything more serious? I don't care that much but it's better to treat it because I assume it's very unhealthy to just stay anemic and I'm going on school camp in two weeks. And how are you supposed to treat it? I've heard you can take iron supplements but people have also said they don't work? And green leafy vegetables but in really large quantities? I suppose I could try eating some red meat, worse case scenario, but I'd prefer not to...

2. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *I also think it's work noting that I haven't been eating well in general recently. My depression has hit an all time low and I've had no energy, haven't had much of an appetite. So, instead of making a meal, I've just been eating processed, sugary foods or I've just been chewing him as a substitute for actually eating altogether. I just thought of this a moment ago and it's probably a contributing factor.*

3. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! Yes the fact that you don't eat well lately and you've got depression can contribute, but you've definitely got major symptoms of anemia. Anemia can be dangerous if left untreated. You have to eat iron rich food other than meat if you don't want to eat meat. Make a list of the iron rich food you can eat and incorporate them in your daily diet.

To treat your anemia really quick, you can eat baby rice cereal (step 1 or step 2), they taste like crap, but they are overloaded with iron, you should solve your anemia immediately by eating this once or twice, but then you need to correct your diet so that it doesn't happen again.

4. SomecallhimTim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That does sound like anemia. You can try iron supplements or fortified cereal to start with and then you could either continue iron supplements or add more dark leafy greens (kale, spinach, chard, etc) lentils, soy, tomatoes, and other high iron foods to your diet.

5. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it gets worse... for the sake of your health you may have to be brave and have one.

6. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the replies...I've bought a lot of foods which are supposedly high in iron. So I have avocado, cashews, egg noodles, grapefruit, kiwi fruit, sesame seeds and spinach. I've been trying to add these foods to any meals I have so I'm eating them pretty constantly and if I want a snack, I just eat the food I bought instead of what I was eating before. I'm feeling a little better to be honest. I'm still kind of tired and pale-ish but I feel like I've gotten a bit of energy back. I don't know if it's also because I've stopped my period and I'm trying to be more careful (so I don't cut or bruise myself), I mean that probably helps, so I'm not bleeding excessively and losing any more red blood cells. I'm going to the pharmacy tomorrow because I need migraine medication but I might see if I can get some iron supplements anyway, if I'm still feeling sort of low tomorrow.

fugitiveboov1 likes this.
  7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    spot.....Iron deficiency anemia is not a joke. I had it without knowing and actually passed out four times. I hit the floor so hard several times that I fractured several spinal vertebrae and ended up having fusion surgery as a result. Nothing to play around with. Get the blood test even if you hate needles....I sure do. Then take care of yourself with supplements!.......David

fugitiveboov1 and blaziken25 like this.
  8. fugitiveboov1

My dude it seems like you may have had complications with eating less meat products. As an official vegitarian i reccomend you consume more dairy products (if you eat them) or other sources of protein and iron, as well as calcium and other things good for your blood, bones, hormones, and muscles. Also make sure you are eating well in general. A yogurt cup is not a meal. So maybe try cashew paste instead of butter, or quinoa instead of chips. Fried tofu is an AMAZING substitute for chicken tenders and there are numerous veggie burger recipes out there which are basically black beans and quinoa. Also it's pronounced KEEN-WAH (not kwin-o-uh).

9. fugitiveboov1

That's great my dude!!! Gpod job. Also make sure you take your meds consistently and stay warm with sweaters n mess, your blood is important for that.

10. Labgirl

You really should go in for a check up. B 12 deficiency may also be a possibility and you may not get enough with supplements. B12 deficiency can cause some serious problems as well as permanent neurological issues. I have it and I know you shouldn't play around with that. It's better to get tested so you can be sure that you're treating the right deficiency. B 12 deficiency may also be caused by lack of intrinsic factor so you could take all the supplements you want and it won't help you, injections (I'm sorry, I know you said you had needle phobia :frowning2:) is the only way to treat it. Take care of yourself.

11. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does sound like anaemia, but seriously, get yourself to a medical professional. Is the only way to get an accurate diagnosis and care plan.

Shoutout to fugitive... yeah, do find substitutes for protein and iron. Pumpkin seeds are your best source of protein, nuts in general are pretty awesome for all that, as well as mushrooms and tofu.

Iron, goes back to dark leafy greens. Not my favourite either, but hey.

Plenty of iron (always good for you!), and best of luck!

Peace

P.S. Sorry about the needles thing.