1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alone and Lonely

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bsg75apollo, Jun 8, 2022.

1. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Feeling very alone and lonely tonight. My wife wants to separate not because of any sexuality stuff or even any fighting or disagreements, but just because she doesn't want to be responsible for anyone but herself. I can't help but feel rejected and kicked to the curb. My kids are at the age where they don't really need me anymore. I don't really have a circle of friend, I barely have a circle of acquaintances. It isn't really easy for a 48-year-old hard core introvert to get out in the world and meet people. Plus my therapist had to cancel our appointment this week and it is normally a bright spot in my week. Pity, party of one, your table is ready.

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    bsg75apollo.....Sounds like now is the time for a really good movie. Even one you've already seen and really liked. Just something to get you away from all of the dark and just forget about for a while. Give it a try!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

TinyWerewolf and BiShark like this.
  3. BiShark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh. Sorry to hear that. Sometimes this stuff just seems to all come to a head at once and can feel overwhelming. That's no fun.

quebec's advice is good. A movie is a good idea but it can be almost anything you enjoy that can feel special.

One thing I used to do a lot was just get in the car and take a drive. No destination in mind, just put on a good album and go. I found it very grounding.

4. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At almost $6.00 /gallon for gas, I might have to postpone that for a while. A movie is much more affordable.

5. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And I thought gas was bad at around $4.50 a gallon here...

Days where I missed my ex and felt alone like that I either vented to a friend (only if it was to the point of tears) or picked up my guitar or put on a good vinyl and laid down.

6. BiShark

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course that can be a factor, this was just an example. The real key with that was the relaxation of an activity that required enough concentration to keep my mind occupied but also let me get into the music ( which can also be great for that, all by itself).

Another possibility are sports and other physical activities. I took up archery last year and that's been great, it's a solo activity (usually, but it doesn't have to be) requires a certain kind of focus and is also pretty good exercise (obviously upper body, but also a lot of walking back and forth to retrieve arrows from the target).

That's all solo stuff, but there are lots of other possibilities, what interests do you have? I'm not quite an introvert* but I am often very shy and reserved with new people and one way to grease the wheels a bit there is with shared activities.

I don't know where your interests lie, but for me a few examples are music (I play guitar and bass), tabletop gaming (boardgames for me, but there are also RPGs)...

*tbh, I don't really like the intro/extrovert dichotomy, I can be either depending on the day, I guess I'm a bivert in addition to being a bisexual.

7. Prisma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So sorry you're feeling that way. A movie or something you can totally absorb yourself in is definitely a good idea. I like to show myself love through self care, shower, candles, lotion, etc. Mindfulness by focusing on senses is good. And art is something that relaxes me and absorbs my attention. Remind yourself that you won't always feel this way, and doing something nice for others can help, maybe your kids, who probably need you more than they or you may know. You have intrinsic worth and matter.