1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost sure I'm lesbian and need to come out to daughter

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Wondergirl, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Wondergirl

This is my first post :slight_smile:
    I am in my late 30s, divorced since 7 years, with one 11 years old daughter and I think I am lesbian. Here is my story.
    Married my husband fully believing I was straight, although I had a girl crush back in high school. I never told anyone, and eventially I forgot about it and thought it was something everyone experience at one point or another. Looking back, signs were there...I wasn't really into dating and didn't have my first boyfriend until my early 20s, and that's when I was intimate for the first time and didn't see what the big deal was. I dated several boys after, but always became very apprehensive when it came to the kissing, touching part. I enjoyed men's company, but nothing physical. When I told my mom back then, she said that I needed to meet the right guy, and that's why I had no romantic feelings for the few guys I dated. Shortly after, I met my husband, fell in love, married and had a child. Our marriage lasted 4 years, we were somewhat happy, he wasn't very sexually active or affectionate, which worked great for me, as I kept thinking about girls more and more, every day, all days..No one in particular, just was dying to know what is like to be with a woman. This is when I got part time job and met this lesbian girl.. We became close friends, so close that my husband pretty much told me "you are in love with her, aren't you?" He encouraged me to explore those feelings, and so I did. I was highly attracted to her and she ended up being the first woman I was with.. the 'relationship' with this her didn't go anywhere, but I was grateful for the experience and loved every minute of the female-female interaction, the emotional as well as the physical connection. Based on this, I consider myself lesbian, I am beyond the being curious stage, right? I only think of women when I imagine myself in a future relationship and don't have a desire towards men at all.
    Anyways, I divorced my husband and enrolled in college. Although divorced, he stayed by my side and supported me though school and raising our daughter. Now, I am independent and ready to be in a relationship. My ex- the only person that knows everything thinks that I shouldn't tell our daughter until I find a woman that is worth knowing of. I feel that I should tell her who I am now, even though I'm not in a relationship with a female yet. What do you guys think, which will be easier for her to process? My daughter is very open minded, we have a gay neighbors, that we all love and have frequent gatherings with, and we have talked to her how being gay/lesbian is totally ok. She hasn't seen me dating anyone or being affectionate with anyone at all, ever, not even with her dad.
    Thank you for reading, I realize this is a long post. I am happy to be a part of such loving community.
    -xo

2. bi2me

Welcome to EC! I think at least letting her know that you are thinking about dating would be a good idea. I think it might be hard to process 'Mom is suddenly showing affection/dating, and to a woman' all at the same time. Then you could let her know you are dating a woman.

I can see both sides. I don't think 11 is too young to know. She may be starting to go through her own process too.

3. fern

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the above. If she doesn't already know that you're at least interested in starting to date that's a good place to start. As a child of divorced parents I know it's really hard to see your parents dating sometimes. I think it's up to you to judge the situation and see if it's too much for her to handle hearing "i'm interested in starting to date...." AND "a woman" all at once.

do you have any gay members in your family, or friends, that your daughter has been exposed to already? or would this be (as far as you know) her first personal relationship with an LGBT person?

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Whenever you decide to tell her, I think you should make it clear to her that you and your ex still care about each other and support each other even though you've now realized you're gay. If this happened with one of my parents, I'd want to hear that. It might make her feel a bit better about the whole situation.

5. Wondergirl

Thank you everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it!
    About the gay interaction my daughter has:
    I don't have gay family members, but those 2 gay guys live next door and my daughter adores them. They pick her up from school from time to time due to our work schedules and such, and she calls them her uncles. She said a while ago that she feels people look weird at her and 'her uncles' when they walk away from the school. We asked if she is ok with them picking her up and she responded that she doesn't care and she is happy to have such a kind hearted people in her life. But then, not too long ago she came home sad, because a classmate of her told her they belong in hell for being gay. That person didn't want to be her friend anymore. She said that she didn't understand why someone this nice would belong in hell. So, my ex and I talked to her again.. Then after him and I talked and he said I have to be strong and prepare to deal with such things..
    We decided to tell her that I will be starting to date and we will save the 'woman' part for later.. Thank you for this advice so much, my ex and I thought about it, and completely agree that this is the best thing to do. She will be ok with it, I hope. As bubbles123 said, her dad and I care deeply for each other, and this will hopefully give her the stability and strength she needs.

#5 Wondergirl, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015