1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age of Consent

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iiimee, Feb 17, 2016.

?

At what age should people be able to legally "do it"?

1. 15 or younger

11.5%
  2. 16

36.9%
  3. 17

8.2%
  4. 18

36.9%
  5. 19

1.6%
  6. 20

1.6%
  7. 21+ (Please say the age in comments!)

0.8%
  8. Other (Explain)

2.5%
  1. iiimee

Hey guys, Chase here... May I ask a question? Well, I guess I just did. Anyway, what do you all think about the "age of consent"? What I mean by that is at what age do you think somebody should be able to legally, erm, get it on? As a young person myself, I want to know what everyone here thinks. I'm from KY, and the age of consent here is 16, which is young compared to other states, but I think all the states have consent ranging from 16 to 18. What I'm asking is both from a legal and personal standpoint. First, what do you think the laws should be in your country/state/city, and then at what age do you personally think people should do it? Like, I think legally 16 is a pretty fair age, but at the same time, I know a lot of young people don't know what they're doing, and that can lead to making serious mistakes. I plan on "getting my tubes tied" soon, as my brother calls it, so I won't be able to make that sort of mistake, but that's unrelated to this. Anyway... What do you guys think? :kiss:

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The age of consent in the UK is 16, but I think it's too low. Personally, I would like to see it at 18.

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it should be 18. For me, it just doesn't seem right to be able to have sex [and possibly make a baby] before we can vote for our child's rights or drive the child places.

You can't adopt until you're 21 so there must be a reason for that, if you can't adopt a child, then it doesn't make sense to be able to have one of your own.

I know I've given two separate ages here, but I think 18 is the most reasonable.

#3 Secrets5, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think 16 is fair. That's what we have, too.

I've learned in the States, there can be problems for couples in the 17-18 age range because the older one can get accused of pedophilia. To me, that's completely insane. By making the age of consent 16, this gets nullified.

Sure, there's always gonna be some irresponsible kids, but you can't make the age of consent higher for that. It'd be after death.

5. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We have an AoC at 16 here which I feel is fair. I do think there should be a law that says 13-15 year olds can legally have sex with others of their age, but obviously no one older can.

6. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah if someone is a year apart I don't think its fair they might consider it pedophilia because they are only a year apart!!

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess I question even having such laws. It seems like the only time I hear about enforcement is when a parent has some vendetta against his or her child's boyfriend/girlfriend.

I can't imagine the laws do much to stop underage people from having sex. A boy with a raging erection isn't going to be thinking "I'd better wait 2 months until I'm 18!"

I also idly wonder about how well the laws are nuanced, and how certain situations get dealt with. Is, for example, a bunch of 13 year old boys jerking off together during a sleepover (watching, but not touching each other) considered to be breaking the law? If so, should the law apply to such situations? (I realize, of course, that each area has different laws and different views on them.)

Instead of such laws, I'd rather see some efforts towards actually giving teenagers usable information about sex. Not just reproduction, which is about as far as sex ed seems to go in many cases. But how about dealing with the reality that hormones are out of control at age 15? How about calm discussions about why waiting to have sex would be a good idea, rather than cold laws that might even tempt people to break them in defiance?

#7 BMC77, Feb 17, 2016
  8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, I checked, and we have that too. 13 can have sex with people up to a year older/younger from them and 14-15 can have sex with people up to 5 years older than them. I think 5 years may be a bit too much, but yeah.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The one area where I can see a law being useful is this: to try and keep adult predators at bay. I don't have a problem with, say, an 18 year old having sex with a 17 year old classmate. But I do think it's a good idea to try and keep 30 year olds from pursuing 15 year olds, and a law that threatens the 30 year old with jail time seems quite reasonable.

10. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What age people should have sex really depends on the people. As far legality goes, I'm fine with 16.

I don't think there's any magical age where everyone can be expected to suddenly be mature and responsible enough to have sex. Some people never get there.

11. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My thoughts exactly.

12. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my state it is 16 but I truley believe it should be 18

13. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just to be careful, I chose 18.
    Years ago, I would have chosen 15. But I'm tamer now.

14. BookWriter1994

15. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree as well. There is no "magical age", though for the sake of the law, an age must be chosen.

Here in Nevada it's 16 and I'm fine with that. As an asexual, it affected me little.

16. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your question doesn't make sense to me. People are legally able to "do it" at any age. The age of consent refers to at what age an *older* person can "do it" with a young person.

If a 5-year-old consents, can they have sex with a 30-year old? Of course, not, right? There's no way a 5-year old can truly give consent to such an act. What about 12? Can a 12-year old really understand the ramifications of what is happening? The significance? If two 14-year olds have consensual sex, there is no law preventing that. But if a 30-year old...or even a 21-year old...wants to have sex with them...is a 14-year old sophisticated enough to understand all the ins and outs of that power dynamic and truly give consent?

*This* is the question. Of course any one fixed age paints an entire group of people with a very broad brush. But (to the doubters) isn't it clear that such questions are reasonable? Mustn't there be *some* such number, even if it's largely arbitrary...and then we trust to the reasonability of the adults involved (including the "perpetrator", the parents of the "victim", the judge, the jury)?

So to me, the actual age specified isn't important...but that there *is* an age is what is relevant.

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it ought to be dynamic until both/all parties are 18 and older.

For example, I think if a 15 and 16 year old have consensual sex, it ought to be ok. Maybe have a 2 year age gap minimum requirement or so for under 18.

#17 Browncoat, Feb 17, 2016
  18. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I voted 18, but other factors should be taken into account. Things such as age difference is important. A 35 year old having sex with a 19 year old would be, in my opinion, be wrong and a bit creepy. I wouldn't have a huge problem if two 16 year old kids 'got carried away' with the passion of the moment. However if one party is taken advantage of I believe that would be a serious crime.
    I think educating young people about respect for each other would avoid a lot of problems before they happen.

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure that this entirely true. I'm not a lawyer, and, of course, laws vary... But it seems to me there have been cases where a teenager under 18 has been prosecuted, even though he or she had sex with a partner of about the same age.

20. Foz

Foz Guest

I think age of consent laws need a total overhaul to reflect the fact kids are starting puberty 18 months earlier than they were 20 years ago, but obviously it must include the correct protections as so to avoid exploitation. I would go on but it's 0130 and Ive spent the last 3 hours sorting money out (the joys of Christmas!) and I just want to go to bed!