1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afraid to retry - inexperience

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Azrael, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I fell in love so deeply with someone half a year ago and I thought those feelings were going to be reciprocated. It turned out that they weren't and ever since then, I've been unable to talk with other gay people or any other potential dates 1-on-1.

There's this boy in my community service club that I really fancy, and I find him very kind and sweet because of how much time he puts towards his projects for others. But I can't seem to talk to him 1-on-1. It's extremely easy for me to talk to him about work or in a group setting, but I can't seem to talk about anything personal.

Any advice? I'd love to be able to give it a try and maybe feel like someone else likes me for once.

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Do you mean personal for you or for him?
    He will open up about his personal life once you give him a bit of info; most people like to know that you're happy to reciprocate and that you aren't just trying to find out about them without giving any info yourself.

You could work it into a conversation about work. Tell him something with a personal link to you, then ask his opinion or if he's ever been in a situation like that.

3. beowoolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, totally get what you mean by being devastated by unrequited love. It sucks. And it does feel like 1) we'll never love again, and 2) no one will ever love us back.

But hey look you've found someone new!

I'd suggest you get his contact or number and start from texting? See if there's something you guys in common you can talk about, and go from there. Be excited and animated. Then maybe do some fun things together, just the two of you. Things that are active that require socialization but not too much of it (ie. don't go to dinner—you're basically staring at the same person for more than an hour straight). Do an activity like a museum, movie, walk, rock climbing, whatever.

Eventually you guys'll start opening up to each other and a more emotional bond will be felt. Best of luck!