1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Affluenza Defense: Rich Texas Teen Gets Probation For Killing 4 While Drunk Driving

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Shamash, Dec 16, 2013.

1. photoguy93

Re: Affluenza Defense: Rich Texas Teen Gets Probation For Killing 4 While Drunk Drivi

Well, it sure sounded like it! I think that arguing over rich white people won't get anything done, since there's a bunch of them and we can't just, you know, get rid of them. And they aren't just the problem. At all.

But hey.....I'm not getting anywhere, you are not going to listen to me and vice versa, so I say this shall be over before too much is said that ends up causing a scene.

#21 photoguy93, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. Mzansi

Re: Affluenza Defense: Rich Texas Teen Gets Probation For Killing 4 While Drunk Drivi

This really is a miscarriage of justice,
    Makes me quite sick to think that he is not ever going to be "Punished" for his crime,
    But rather smacked on the wrist and sent off.

I really do hope karma bites him squarely in the ass.

3. photoguy93

I have to add (because it's bugging me...) I hope everyone knows that I don't think this kid should get off free or anything - he has to pay a price, I'm not wanting him to just walk away.....

Okay, over and out. :slight_smile: thanks for listening, haha.

4. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I think the problem here isn't the sentence, because prisons in America don't work for shit and punishment and justice should not be administered by anyone. The problem is that the rich get one sentence and the poor get another. Land of equal opportunity my ass. If anyone is classist as fuck, it's us.

5. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people

More white supremacist than classist. Whereas it's ok to bemoan about the classism, the eephant in the room, white supremacy, is taboo to talk about and so it goes unnoticed by almost everyone. The kid would've surely been sentenced to prison time had he been black, regardless of his class, because imprisoning/killing blacks is part of the job description for law enforcement. Not to mention, on several occasions I've seen local news stories that talk about young poor white men who get extremely light punishments for lurid crimes.

#25 AtheistWorld, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  6. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

It can't be both?

7. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people

Considering there is no large number of Proletariat or working class in America, no.

8. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

[Citation Needed]

9. Mzansi

Although some instances this may be true,
    I feel the claim is quite exaggerated.

10. DrkRayne

Pure classism.

This kid committed MANSLAUGHTER! He killed four people in vehicular manslaughter.
    While I dont think he needs to be thrown in prison, he does need juvi for his crime, at least a year and then to be put on probation

the judge gave him a severely lenient judgement because honestly if someone else did this, someone who's parents couldnt afford a 450k rehab center, then that kid would be in juvi till 18 at least with some rehab.
    He got NOT time, Non. he is going to the equivlent of a celebrity rehab center. The same thing happens to celebs and other rich people.

There are two sets of rules.
    This was wrong. honestly I think the attorney general needs to be called to review the sentence. 4 people died vehicular manslaughter. DUI....
    people go to JAIL for YEARS for killing one person in vehicular manslaughter. How can you NOT see the injustice in this?

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This may be a product of the "Get Tough On Crime" laws that re-elect politicians and until last summer, sent 12-year-olds to prison for life with no chance at parole. While prosecutors sought hard time in adult prison, the judge may have felt that it was one or the other, and opted with the lesser punishment to avoid sending him to adult prison for 2 decades.

12. Emberstone

and dont pretend this was not the first time this kid pulled illegal shit, and claimed this defense.

he pulled the same defence when he was caught passed out drunk in a car with a naked, drunk, passed out 14 year old girl he had been sexually assulting. he got off to.

then there were the car accidents, and other drug charges.

---------- Post added 17th Dec 2013 at 02:55 PM ----------

his record says otherwise, but his wealth always gets him off, be it for the car accidents, the drug usages, or the sexual assualt.

13. DrkRayne

14. DMark69

The key here is that the justice system needs to be reformed to be the "Blind Justice" it is supposed to be. The court needs to see evidence that he was drunk underage, and on drugs and committed vehicular manslaugher. They should not take his money, or race into account. If rehab is the right answer for this rich white kid, it is also the same answer for a poor unemployed child from a minority family. There should be no difference in the punishment. The only difference I can see is that restitution should be enough to be painful reguardless of how much money you have. For example a 500 fine is exorbitant for someone on minimum wage, but is pocket change for Bill Gates. The fine should be enough to be painful for the criminal.

15. DrkRayne

We WISH that was the case. but it seems like equality isnt seen anymore. Justice isnt blind, she is greedy.