1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HenriHenri, Jun 15, 2020.

1. HenriHenri

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello everyone! I'm an international student studying in the United States, and due to recent events there's an unfortunate spike in anti-American sentiments in the country I'm from. As a result trans rights are getting framed as part of US's "toxic leftist discourse" and "political correctness taken too far." It really pains me to see that the only media publicity trans people get in my country (despite efforts from activist organizations that probably won't reach many people outside the LGBTQIA+ community) is through JKR's twitter controversy and that a lot of people (some of whom I used to know personally) are voicing support for Rowling without even bothering to educate themselves on trans issues.

I'm a pre-everything gay trans guy and out to all my close friends. As my college at least is a very accepting place, I'm half ready to take the next step and socially transition during my senior year. It is discouraging and frankly a little frightening to think that some acquaintences from my country might take it into their heads to come and "debate" my identity with me.

More on my situation. I cannot go home this the summer and all my friends have either graduated or left campus. Nothing has happened so far to make me think that the other students on campus (mostly from my country) will be unfriendly in any serious sense, but my own fear is making me feel lonely....I wish I can just quite easily and openly tell people that I'm trans, especially since it's the first time in my life that I'm beginning to understand pride. I hate being evasive and I also long to have someone to talk with, someone who might understand my queerness.

Sorry if I don't have specific questions about coming out. Thanks for reading this long post. Hope you're all having a good day!

2. mellissa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It is okay not to have a specific question.

Do you have anybody close by who you can count on during your transition?

3. HenriHenri

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you!

Yes, my friends are few but all of them are wonderful. They just all happened to have gone home or elsewhere for the summer. (What with the pandemic I don't know when I'll see them again, and I certainly miss them a lot!) Right now I'm spending all my time by myself and maybe the problem is that I'd hate to go back into the closet in order to socialize...