1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice regarding eating disorder tendencies

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AlexJames, Feb 21, 2017.

1. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Title sums it up. My mom's a personal trainer and ever since my teen years she's been on a neverending diet. She's got disordered eating tendencies at the least, potentially a full blown disorder, but she won't ever admit it. For the longest time she's been afraid of being fat again and focused on that. Very hypocritical with the clients, telling them its all about diet and exercise and logging calories when she's been popping laxatives for years on end. Ugh.

Believe me this is going somewhere. I feel that before i explain my own eating disorder tendencies, i should put it in its proper context. I've grown up around it, pretty much. Sometimes i feel like when she wants to go out to lunch its just as much so she can binge and feel guilty for the rest of the week as it is 'to get me out of the house'. I haven't weighted in a while but last time i did several months ago i was within upper half of the healthy range for my height. Problem is i'm short, so to me any amount of body fat looks bad on me. Plus as a child i was chronically underweight so i just got used to seeing that body looking in the mirror growing up. Every once in a while i just want to go anorexic and get the weight off. I feel like my jeans are too small now and that coupled with all the stress i have bene under is just working totally against me. Does anybody have advice for how to redirect this? Like to channel it into something more appropriate.

#1 AlexJames, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2017
  2. Really

You might want some therapeutic help with these issues but from my personal experience, I think my suggestion would be to try to reframe diet and exercise into something positive rather than negative.

Decide you're not going to diet but you're going to enjoy your food. That doesn't mean eating cake for dinner :wink: but can you cook? How about taking a cooking class? Maybe you'd like to try some new ethnic food. Are there classes at a local community centre or cooking school?

As for exercise, how about joining a group or club to take up some sport? Meetups are good for that. I've joined a couple of women only meetups for a couple of activities. One I want to get better at and one which is totally new to me. It's all about the challenge and the fun.

Get healthy from the inside. The outside will follow. :thumbsup:

3. Margaret

I've talked with my doctor about my ED and while it was uncomfortable at first I think it helped me just to know I'm not dealing with this alone. I also started going to therapy recently, and I have yet to mention my food issues but I know it's something I have to talk about eventually. Do you have a doctor you could talk to? Or a therapist? Idk how to channel it into something better, I think just talking honestly about what's going on is best.