1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for mental health

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Phoenyx07, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Phoenyx07

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    tw: self-harm and things like that

Ok so I'm gonna make this quick because I don't want to type forever. I have never been diagnosed with any mental illness, and I'm not going to self diagnose myself here. I only want some advice. I began cutting and other self-harm when I was younger, until my mom found out. I've also attempted, but she doesn't know that. When she found out about cutting, she made fun of me in front of my grandparents and main family members. After that, she gave me scar creams that make the scars go away. She never asked me how I was mentally, or took me to a doctor to be evaluated. I want help, because I've been feeling worse and worse, but I don't know how to ask without seeming like I'm attention-seeking. Any advice? (Again: NOT self-diagnosing just asking for help)

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You need to seek out therapy. Do not worry about it seeming like attention-seeking. If your parents cannot be supportive about it (and I have experienced parents hiding problems, mine hid my suicide attempt), seek out help from your school. Shaming someone for having problems is abusive.

Phoenyx07 likes this.
  3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m sorry that you’re going through this and don’t have any reliable support at home. I would second @QuietPeace ’s suggestion of speaking to a trusted member of staff at school. Hopefully they will be able to help you to find the support that you need.

#3 LostInDaydreams, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020