1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADHD

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Shallow waters, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Shallow waters

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does anyone on EC have ADHD? If so, what tips can you give for someone having trouble trying to keep up with school work as a senior?

I refuse to ever touch ADHD medication of any kind ever again.

2. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was diagnosed with ADHD at a very young age in the mid 90s. They put me on some stimulant medication like Ritalin or something and the medication made me very angry leading to a sudden decline in my grades, leading to the other kids in Catholic school calling me retarded. As it turns out, I probably never had ADHD, but was bipolar the whole time because one day in my mid-20s I snapped and thought everyone was out to get me and they took me off of the ADHD medication I was on at the time, Concerta, and replaced it with an antipsychotic called Haldol which I had to wean myself off of because I was sleeping 18 hours a day with it. For awhile, I was just on Prozac and Xanax and for awhile that was fine, but eventually I relapsed and they put me on other mood stabilizers. I was just prescribed a new one the other day and I'm still getting used to it. But I know what it's like to live thinking you have ADHD.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. I don't usually need meds but I'm good at budgeting a lot of time for stuff to factor in the fact that I'll get distracted. That's my biggest piece of advice

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you formally diagnosed? If so, what was done to come up with the diagnosis? This is really important, as ADHD is wildly overdiagnosed and misdiagnosed.

Also, what happened with medication when you were on it?

Knowing these will be really helpful in giving you accurate information.

5. mgh23

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have ADHD. Medications have changed my life in the best ways possible. If you want good research on ADHD you absolutely must read material written by Dr. Russell Barkley, he's a world renown clinical psychologist that specializes in ADHD. The way he writes and describes ADHD is like he's telling a story about my life. It's unbelievable.