1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADHD, Autism or something else?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Leonardo5, May 27, 2019.

1. Leonardo5

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all, I’m sure many of you can relate to this; procrastinating. Just so you know, I procrastinate A LOT. I do homework a day before it’s due, sometimes I’ll even have to delay it and submit late. The teachers are looking at me weird, and I often don’t do class work well either. Currently I have some English questions and a 2 page History research task due tomorrow in period one and two, I also have a chinese oral I have not yet practiced during lunch. I have been procrastinating these tasks well over 2 weeks, and currently am stuck on it :/. I know some people are just procrastinators or get distracted easily, so I really don’t know if it’s ADHD or something else, i do think I may be on the Aspergers spectrum but no proper diagnosis has been made.. i often find myself staring off into space, and completely miss what the teacher just said. I am sort of failing my school work in a way, and I seem unable to change the way I work, I can only work after 8pm or it doesn’t feel right.
    That’s it for now, I will probably add more later.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A diagnosis on the autism spectrum (Asperger's is no longer used, as it has been folded into autism) would be consistent with everything you're describing, from the distraction to the procrastination, to the zoning out. This is specifically a dysfunction of the 'executive function' part of the brain. The good news is, this is quite solvable if you are able to get a proper evaluation and diagnosis, as there are many effective strategies for building up the executive function and cultivating the connections that aren't fully developed. Can you talk to your parents and/or the guidance counselor, school psychologist or social worker about finding a way to get tested for autism?

The hard part is not getting angry with yourself or judging yourself. Autism spectrum isn't a bad thing, it's just a different set of strengths and skills. With proper assistance, you can learn to maximize the strengths that come with your particular circumstance, and work to strengthen the parts that are less well developed.

canadawet likes this.